Help upgrading from windows 8.

Copper Contributor

i tried using the windows 10 media creation tool but when i tried to run it as admin. it gave me Error code: 0x80072f8f - 0x20000 ....im not an expierenced Tech. guy so i am hoping someone can lead me to making this work. my gateway laptop meets the system requirements. im installing all available updates now to try to illiminate  this error code when i try to install the windows 10 media creation tool but as stated it gave me that error msg. so i spent yesterday reasearching/troubleshooting that error msg. and tried all my Google search suggestions. i read online you can install the (ISO) of 10 without that error message popping up??? at this point im at my wits end and im coming to you guys for help.. PLEASE.  Lastly i would LOVE to upgrade all the way to windows 11 but as of now i just want to accomplish 10... .....Thanks SO much!!  Curtis G

4 Replies

Hi, and have you tried the simplest form ( downloading the update assistant )?

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

It is related to TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 protocol and easy way is to run Windows Update and download and install all updates for Windows and restart your PC and try run the installation file. Or you may follow steps on:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-default-secure-pro...
The error may arise due to essential services not starting correctly, conflict of applications, and interference of the third-party antivirus, which prevents the installation of Windows. These are the most common contributor factors that can trigger 0X80072F8F – 0X20000

You can either try updating manually by completely booting you PC and installing windows 10 there after if nothing works.

Regards,
James