SOLVED

Had to reinstall Realtek HD audio driver every time I open the lid.

Brass Contributor

Hello everyone! I have a recurrent little Windows 10 problem.

Every time I  had to close and open the lid of my Lenovo ThinkPad 13 series laptop I see cross mark on speaker icon located at taskbar. I had to uninstall and reinstall Realtek HD driver to hear sound and microphone to work. I followed everything on this page. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4520288/windows-10-fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01 

By the way when I go to device manager after the lid is open the device driver goes under the category of System Devices and sound doesn't come out. I had to choose that icon with yellow exclamation mark or cross mark or question mark (I don't remember but some mark) and uninstall it and click on Search for hardware change icon. Then it goes under Sound, Video and Game Controller and have Realtek HD Device name. It's really bothersome. I am using driver version 6.0.8924.1 Driver date 2020-03-26

Can anybody please help me? 

7 Replies
One way to reinstall the Realtek HD Audio Manager is to download it manually from the Realtek website. Download the driver and then open the installer file to begin the installation process by following the instructions. Visit this website to find the right version of the driver for you Windows operating system.

Hello @Adrian1595,

@Adrian1595 wrote:

Every time I  had to close and open the lid of my Lenovo ThinkPad 13 series laptop I see cross mark on speaker icon located at taskbar.  

Please run Playing Audio troubleshooter by right click on volume icon and select Troubleshoot sound problems. Let us know what it reports back. 

Regards.

@Kapil Arya First of all Thank you for your kind reply.

I ran the troubleshooter and got the following attached troubleshooting message along with the registry log. 

Thank you.

best response confirmed by Adrian1595 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Adrian1595, I recommend you to complete installation of all the latest updates available to you.

Also, completely reinstall the driver from your device manufacturer's website, see if that helps.

Regards.

@Kapil Arya I just did what you suggested. Complete update of windows and reinstall Realtek HD driver.

Thank you very much.

@Kapil Arya Sorry to say. My problem re-emerged again. I uninstalled Microsoft Audio Driver and installed Realtek driver from Realtek website. It worked for one reboot.

But still after every new boot up audio is disabled and audio HD Device is in System device Category under device manager. Audio is still not using the driver from Realtek website.

Can anybody tell what should I do?

@Adrian1595 

Report this issue to device manufacturer's support.

Open start and search for feedback and open Feedback Hub app and report this issue.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Adrian1595 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Adrian1595, I recommend you to complete installation of all the latest updates available to you.

Also, completely reinstall the driver from your device manufacturer's website, see if that helps.

Regards.

View solution in original post