Fail to update Windows kb5009596

Copper Contributor
My system details are as follows:

Windows 10 Home 
21H1
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Update kb5009596 appears on my Windows update screen. However, when I try to install it it allways fails. I even downloaded it to install it manually, but again - it failed.

How can I fix that?

17 Replies

@dushkin 

I'm having the same problem.  When I tried to manually download the update the error was "can't download securely."  Appreciate any assistance

@dushkin 

Hi, this is a preview update - so it may not install when the system does not have all the components to install ( there must be a rollback ) 

Previously, almost all optional updates were installed, but there are problems with this one - it is worth waiting for the fix.

@A1 

Thank you very much for your response.  I do not find that update in my update list; however, when doing a little research online about kb5009596 I read it's for Supported products: Windows 10 LTSB , Windows 10, version 1903 and later.   I thought I also read that Microsoft doesn't want us using LTSB?  My version is: 21H2 OS Build 19044, 1466. 

Considering my version is 21H2 OS Build 19044, 1466, if you still think I should install KB5000736 I'll give it a try.  Please let me know your thoughts.  Thanks again for your response.

@Dan_Coyle 

Hi, No your version is higher no need to install KB5000736,.
Error kb5009596 may be due to the absence of this earlier update.
Regards :)

So, I don't need to install the earlier update you referenced either, right?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated, and I thank you for taking the time to respond.

Best regards :)

@Dan_Coyle 

Yes, and this is an additional explanation , there is a difference between the versions and it can cause confusion,

Windows 10 LTSB - Microsoft Tech Community

Thanks again. Have a good day.

@A1

I don't suppose there is a way to "ignore" the error? Just an eye sore seeing a failed update error sitting there all the time lol. 

@tBeNz Hi

I think this will help you understand that this is the Insider Program Version and is not mandatory.

Releasing Windows 10 Build 19044.1499 to Release Preview Channel | Windows Insider Blog

" The Preview of Monthly Rollup is product-specific and addresses new non-security updates, and includes fixes from the latest Monthly Rollup. This Preview of Monthly Rollup would be displayed under the title Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup when you download or install. It will be classified as an "Optional" update. "

@A1 No I don't. Should I install it?

@dushkin 

Of course, you can try to install, but if the installation is withdrawn - I advise against it, because the installer will not install if there is no full environment.

Description of the standard terminology - Windows Client | Microsoft Docs

@A1 Ok, I probably was wrong becuase when I tried to install it I receieved the following message:

ScreenHunter 2022-02-03 17-18-20.png

How do I continue from here?

@dushkin 

No - after such a message, the installation will fail.
just , wait for official patches and do not force updates.

Thank you
Hi, I have a similar problem. Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 build 19043.928. Unable to execute cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for systems x64 ((KB5009596).Last qualitative update succesfully installed: 11 jan 2022: KB5008876 cumulative update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10, version 20H2
Every time after a long install process message appears: Impossible to complete updates, Than it takes a long time to cancel the update and to restart. In the settings screen\Windows Update it continues to appear the message "restart necessary" and when I shut down there is always the option update and restart/shutdown.
So the update is always pending but it is not possible to install it

@Mario_Raffaele  Hi

I think you could download the media creation tool and (update in place) - in the settings you can leave personal files most often it solves
problems, of course search in your language:

https://www.microsoft.com/pl-pl/software-download/windows10