SOLVED

Excel Error - File is not in a recognizable format

Copper Contributor

I have an Excel 2010 file which I really need to access quickly. Unfortunately, whenever I try opening the file, I get an annoying error message saying “File is not in a recognizable format”. I am quite sure that the file is in .xlsx format as I was updating and using it until last evening. Can someone please lend me a helping hand at resolving this error?

5 Replies

Dear Laura,

I had a similar issue too however you can try unchecking all the checkboxes in the protected view and data execution prevention mode, please inform if it worked.

Let me try this.

I am still not able to view the spreadsheet, this did not work.
best response confirmed by Laura Scott (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Dear Laura,

These are the few solutions, try them:

1. Delete the unwanted add-ins
  2. Use Open and repair option
  3. Move the file from one location to another and try to open it
  4. Save the file in HTML format

I was   on Excel weekend 4 which is going to happen in Brazil. The Excel expert Cristiano Galvão discussed about an  . The software can repair corrupt Excel file. The software is Stellar Phoenix Excel Repair and you can try it. (note: external links removed by moderator)

Good Luck!

Amazing!!!.. Yes I fixed it

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Laura Scott (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Dear Laura,

These are the few solutions, try them:

1. Delete the unwanted add-ins
  2. Use Open and repair option
  3. Move the file from one location to another and try to open it
  4. Save the file in HTML format

I was   on Excel weekend 4 which is going to happen in Brazil. The Excel expert Cristiano Galvão discussed about an  . The software can repair corrupt Excel file. The software is Stellar Phoenix Excel Repair and you can try it. (note: external links removed by moderator)

Good Luck!

View solution in original post