Edited wrongly Registry entry and lost access but now want to regain access.

Copper Contributor

I recently resetted Win 10 to default since I forgot to delete 2 malwares at one instance and on the other got stuck windows OS. After reset, usb keyboard not working and usb not allowing driver update. so i wanted to do a troubleshoot. It requires devcon.exe and command prompt wont recognize for run. This required me to install Windows 11 SDK. This install gave me message that the following file doesn't allow access to the SDK installer.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{6069BBFB-987E-4532-A065-D424F2CED667}\InprocServer32

so i ran regedit in run and got into the registry editor as administrator and entered to the above file and viewed the security tab. There I denied access to the unknown user in the user groups and applied and hit OK. Then a warning of allowing some as  Full access and others as deny will overwrite access into deny. I clicked OK. But immediately i am warned that i dont have view access but can do modify. however when i go to security tab ans see there is no entry in the user groups. If i add Administrators or Users and give full access, it is not giving permission to make changes. How can I get back access? How can I re-enable USB keyboard?

0 Replies