Earphones/microphone work at start, but "not plugged in" if unplugged once

Copper Contributor

Having a lot of problems with my earphones. I have Bose Quiet Comfort headphones (for Android, don't know if that's relevant) and my computer consistently says they are not plugged in. I have tried looking for updates for drivers, rolling back updates, nothing works. 

The thing is to a certain extent I understand what's going on, the one way I can fix this is if I restart my computer entirely. Then if I plug the headphones in they work. But the second I unplug them and put them back in, the computer can no longer detect them and sound keeps coming out of the speakers. 

The headphones also have a microphone built in. From the Sound window I can find from right clicking on the speaker icon, I can see that "Jack Mic" and "Headphone" (the same device) are "Not Plugged In," but the weird thing is that when I restart the computer, the headphones can be detected but the microphone is never detected. I'm not sure if this problem is rooted in the computer not detecting my device, or if there is some problem with the computer not recognizing the device is two-in-one, which ruins everything else. 

I'm running Windows 10.0.19041 Build 19041, on a Dell XPS 13 7390. This is a new computer, and it's so frustrating that something I just bought can't do this simple thing. 

1 Reply

@portia847 wrote:

The thing is to a certain extent I understand what's going on, the one way I can fix this is if I restart my computer entirely. Then if I plug the headphones in they work. But the second I unplug them and put them back in, the computer can no longer detect them and sound keeps coming out of the speakers. 

Hello @portia847,

When headphones are detected, I suggest you to set them as default device:

-Right click on the volume icon and select “Playback devices”.

-Now, right click on empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

-Select “headphone” and click on “Properties” and make sure that the headphone is enabled & set as default. 

-Reconnect your headphones and check if issue is resolved.

See if this helps!