SOLVED

Cumulative update KB5003214 fails to install

Iron Contributor

Hello Good afternoon Everybody ! Well unexpectedly ONCE AGAIN Windows cumulative update windows 10 version 21H1 build 19043.1023 failing to install after multiple attempts. This means this is the 4th update in last 3 months that causing severe headaches to Microsoft Users. Just 2 Weeks ago I moved front 20H2 to 21H1 and it went successful but then again the problem starting coming out of nowhere. Shout loud if you have been facing the same issue as I have been facing for quite sometimes now. Cheer Pals

86 Replies
I also experienced it. Just do the same thing. Upgrade the OS using media creation tool and it should be fixed.

@Adrien1920 I tried that 3 times and all didn't work. I have tried upgrading online direct and also via a USB or DVD media. Each time towards the end or, say, 99% complete upgrade I got the message " undoing changes to your computer " so back to square one. In the meantime, other than KB4023057 or Net Framework other updates failed during installation. It keeps telling me some update files either missing or corrupted.  Trying to repair corrupted files using  sfc scannow  gives me an error message 'Windows Resource Protection cannot start the operation' and DISM 'the WOF driver encountered a corruption in the compressed file's Resource Table' 

I  have tried everything under the sun or recommendations in various forums and the only thing seems best is to do a clean re-install of Windows.

@Wingy10 

Yes I have confirmation from many users that a clean installation is the only solution!
Of course, make a backup of your personal files - Good luck

Yet I get bombarded with new updates everyday. Today I was asked to install KB5004945 which, installation stuck at 20%. It keeps telling me I am missing certain update files and components. Why not Microsoft makes life easy for everybody with issues and provide a list of these system files to add-on or overwrite.

@Wingy10 

Hi I have this update, but on another I had problems - I did a hard reset and went well!

By doing a hard reset I will lose my apps like Microsoft Office, Chrome etc.

@Wingy10 

no!
Hold for 20 seconds on the power switch, then turn it on normally.
Write how it works for you!

Yep gives me no error codes just never installs sometimes it goes to 100% but then eventually just drops to 21% gets stuck indefinitely. Have not been able to work due to this error since it this update has been released.
Ive been dealing with this issue for months now... This page worked for me. In particular it was Method number 4.
https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2020/10/feature-update-to-windows-10-version-20h2.html#.YVaxy2iYUuV
My Windows 10 version is currently 20H2 so I am not trying to update from version 2004. My problem is any cumulative updates just won't install. Windows keeps saying I am missing some vital components but say what. The error code is always 0x80073712.
My most recent KB5005565 cumulative update for Windows 10 failed to installed. KB5005539 for .Net Framework 3.5 and 4.8 was installed OK. It seems only cumulative updates for Windows 10 Version 20H2 that fail.
Have tried all 6 solutions but non of them worked. Both Sfc /scannow and DISM won't complete or work.
Did a Windows Update Troubleshoot and the following shows up:

Issues found
Check for Windows Update issuesCheck for Windows Update issues
Detects issues related to Windows Update. Detected Detected
Resolve Windows Update issues Completed

Potential issues that were checked
Some security settings are missing or have been changedSome security settings are missing or have been changed Issue not present
Check for missing or corrupt filesCheck for missing or corrupt files Issue not present
Service registration is missing or corruptService registration is missing or corrupt Issue not present

Issues found Detection details

6 Check for Windows Update issues Detected Detected

Detects issues related to Windows Update.
Resolve Windows Update issues Completed

Resolves common Windows Update issues.
InformationalWaaSMedicService
Issues remediated by:ServiceHealthPlugin;AutomaticCorruptionRepairPlugin

Potential issues that were checked Detection details

Some security settings are missing or have been changed Issue not present

Check for missing or corrupt files Issue not present

Service registration is missing or corrupt Issue not present

Detection details Expand

InformationalIsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates
IsPostback: False

InformationalWaaSMedicService
Issue found by:ServiceHealthPlugin;AutomaticCorruptionRepairPlugin

InformationalIsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates
IsPostback: True

InformationalService Status
Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException

InformationalService Status
Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182. System.Management.Automation.RemoteException

Collection information
Computer Name: ASUSPRIMEB250MP
Windows Version: 10.0
Architecture: x64
Time: 01 October 2021 19:56:45

Publisher details Expand

Would like your comments
Restart your computer and check for the update.
Did the following using CMD with admin rights:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
rename C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
rename C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
Exit CMD
Restart PC and did update of KB5005565 again but same end result - error code 0x80073712
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5005565
It can manually download the file and install bypassing the Server Update - it will be possible to install,
Of course, you have to choose the right version if you have 20H2 then for this version download,
perhaps Update is trying to install to version 21H1?
That KB5005565 automatically popped -up on my Update & Security in Settings. There was no indication it was for W1H1. In a while there will be another KB500xxxx to get me to update despite not being able to update the previous KB,
Which one should I choose ? My version is Windows 10 Pro 20H2 X64.