Credential Manager not updating passwords

Brass Contributor

We see a pattern when our users change password every 90 days. A lot of them get Outlook promts after and we need to clear the credential manager. It seems that windows do not update all instances of the users credentials and the Outlook pass them on with the old password.

Any one else have seen this a lot in Windows 10? And do anyone have any idears on what to do?

11 Replies

We are seeing the same issue for some time now. We are windows 10, Outlook 15 and 16, SKype, O365, and SecureAuth 2fa. Deleting the credentials from Credential manager is the work around. Some have posted scripts to do this quickly as another work around. have not yet found the hotfix or patch for this.

Has there been any hotfix or solutions posted for this issue?   

This happened to me and another colleague.  I would be curious under what conditions Credential Manager is able or not able to update a set of credentials.

We still see this issue. We have been running a case with Microsoft support to try and find the root cause, but with no success. As of now, we have accepted that this can happen and have a script to fix it, when users report it. But according to Microsoft, Office 365 Pro Plus do not use the credential manager when connecting to Office 365???? IT life is not easy :(

Has there been any updates on this?    It seems to be happening with onedrive sync client

@Eric Sabono we just started to accept that this could happen. We created a script that clear the cached credentials when a user goes to the Service Desk to get help.

@Jesper Stein 

Here is a script i have found and tested to work. I still would like to know why, if my password is reset in AD, and Outlook asks for my new password, why it cant update the existing credentials? if i clear them, it accepts and writes the new value. If i dont, then it continually prompts for credentials even after you type in the new password because it's unable to update the value. 

Save this in a txt file and name it PasswordChange.cmd or something with .CMD and execute it before a password change. 

For /F "tokens=1,2 delims= " %%G in ('cmdkey /list ^| findstr Target') do cmdkey /delete %%H

Thanks for supplying the script @Bill Dixon @Jesper Stein 

@Bill Dixon  This script essentially wipes everything from CredMgr.  

if you are looking for something more specific to just the Outlook creds:

powershell:

clear
$keys = cmdkey /list
ForEach($key in $keys){
           if($key -like "*Target:*" -and $key -like "*MS.Outlook*"){
                 cmdkey /del:($key -replace " ","" -replace "Target:","")
    }
}

Yes, we have the same problem and it affects our RemoteApps. After a user changes their Windows password the next time they go to launch a RemoteApp it immediately locks their account. When this occurs we have to manually clear out the credential manager.

@Jesper Stein 
Any info or updates on this.  It has been a pain in my @$$ for about 3 or 4 years now.  There should be no reason for such a required work around.  I am seeing all of the same conditions as the other users.  Change password as required by network policy (6 months).  After that sometimes Outlook will lock the account as soon as it is opened, and then nothing works until IT is called.  This normally happens after the user tries to enter their password a couple of times and it obviously will not work so they reboot and then can not log into their computer.