Cleanup windows sxs folder

Copper Contributor

i am trying to do windows cleanup and i am using Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup or Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /SPSuperseded .
After 20 percent, it says successfully...But the space is not reduced. i have tried sfc /scannow and restore health...But it is not helping. is there an alternative for this?

10 Replies
Bonjour, pourrais tu me donner le resultat de cette commande ? Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStorr
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

@favlass Cache and Temporary Data: 147.36 MB, Backups and Disabled Features: 680.88 MB

in theory you should be able to recover 820MB, you will find a detailed procedure here
http://woshub.com/how-to-clean-up-and-compress-winsxs-folder-in-windows-8/
i understand that it should happen. I had seen this article...not sure why this is not happening and after 20 % it says it is a success...but files don't get deleted... sfc /scannow or restore health in dism didn't help either

@shekar220 

When i test on a VM, before cleaning i have 2.55GB for the features and 400MB for cache

Number of Reclaimable Packages : 2
Component Store Cleanup Recommended : Yes

After Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

disabled feature is 1.6GB, and cache 0.

Number of Reclaimable Packages : 0
Component Store Cleanup Recommended : No

@favlass not sure why it is not working .... any help is much appreciated 

@shekar220 

have you tested with the Disk Cleanup App ?

@favlass pretty much same result. annoying as my image is bulging because of this 800 mb :(

@shekar220 

for what purpose do you want to create an image, vmware, hyper v?