SOLVED

Cannot sign in with password after update to 20H2

Copper Contributor

I have a Surface Pro 4 that updated to 20H2 with no problem.  However, I updated my HP laptop from 1909 to 20H2 manually using the upgrade advisor.  All went well except that I can no longer log in with my Microsoft account password.  On startup, I get a sign in screen with an only option of "Sign-In".  I click it and it requires me to do a full log into my Microsoft account.  The process takes about 30 second every time.  I used to get a screen with a field where I could just enter my password.

On the "Options|Accounts|Sign-In Options" screen, it shows Windows Hello as On and greyed out.  I have never used Windows Hello (and I cannot turn it off now because it is greyed out).  Higher on that page there should be an option (as on my other computer) for "Password: sign in with your account's password".  That option is missing on the HP laptop in question.

Any ideas of what I can do to get the password option back?

Thanks.

5 Replies
best response confirmed by Kapil Arya (MVP)
Solution

Hello @Still_Active,

Try these steps:

1. Open Registry Editor.

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\Device.

3. Set DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion to 0.

Note: It is recommended to create System Restore point before editing registry.

Reboot and check if you can sign in with Microsoft account password now.

Hope this helps! 

Wow!  That worked perfectly.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

Thank you!

Glad we could help!

How do I get into the registry if I can't log in? @Kapil Arya 

@smosqae, OP described in detail in the initial post here, how you can login using Microsoft account. Also, if you've any of Windows Hello sign-in options configured, you can use them to login and then apply the registry manipulation.

Regards. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Kapil Arya (MVP)
Solution

Hello @Still_Active,

Try these steps:

1. Open Registry Editor.

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\Device.

3. Set DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion to 0.

Note: It is recommended to create System Restore point before editing registry.

Reboot and check if you can sign in with Microsoft account password now.

Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post