Can't delete use account win 10

Copper Contributor

In Win 10 I am the administrator. I want to delete a redundant user account, a local account, standard user. Using win settings, I can delete it, but when the computer is restarted the account appears again. What to do?

7 Replies

Hi @bryanwhitlocksconz ,

To delete the local account from Windows 10, the preferred way is to use Computer Management Cosole:

• Open Run by pressing Win + R, and type the command compmgmt.msc
  • From Local Users and Group, go to the user directory and delete the account which you want to delete.

Computer Management Console (compmgmt.msc)Computer Management Console (compmgmt.msc)

@SalmanAhmed 

Thanks for the prompt response. I did as suggested and it seemed to do the trick, but when I rebooted, the unwanted user account appeared again as before. 

There are some system reserved accounts in Windows. Can you share us the name of that account. Note that some accounts can't be deleted as they're required by Windows.

@Kapil Arya 

Thanks, Kapil, I got diverted! 

The reserved accounts appear to be:

Administrator Account

Default Account "A user account managed by the system"

WDAGUtilityAccount    Used by Windows Defender. (I am using Eset)

Any further advice? 

Yes, you were on the right path, Kapil. It turns out the renegade use account was created by Eset when I turmed on auto theft protection. Every time I deleted it, Eset restored it. Thanks foir your help.

@SalmanAhmed what do i do if i remove the only user on the pc, that being an administrative user, and there are no other users. i think i just did this and now the laptop requires a passcode to access which it didnt before

Dear @wajxviii 

If you have removed the only user on your PC that was an administrative user and there are no other users, you can still access your computer by using the built-in administrator account. You can enable it by following these steps:

• Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  • Type netplwiz and press Enter.
  • In the User Accounts window, select your user account and click on Properties.
  • In the Properties window, click on Group Membership.
  • Select Administrator and click on OK.
  • Click on Apply and then OK.

After enabling the built-in administrator account, you can log in to your computer using it and create a new user account with administrative privileges.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.