SOLVED

Can I just delete the Windows.Old folders?

Iron Contributor

I've been struggling to get Windows 10 installed onto a new SSD I put into my old Dell XPS desktop. I made a bootable USB drive, but it kept going back to the beginning of the process over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. No one told me that you must take the USB drive out. I'm sorry, but I cannot read minds. I didn't know that. Finally, my son found a video on YouTube telling me that. So, at the appropriate time we removed it and FINALLY I was able to complete the process.

Now, I've got a HECK of a lot of Windows.Old (x) folders. Can I just get into File Explorer, highlight the bunch and press delete? I've tried, three times, to use the Disk Cleanup utility. It wouldn't delete those Windows.Old (x) folders. So, how do I get rid of them?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Rod Falanga (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hello @Rod Falanga,

To delete Windows.old folder, you need to remove previous Windows installation files. Go to Settings app > System > Storage > Temporary files > select Previous Windows installation(s) > and click Remove files.

Or open administrative Command Prompt, type RD /S /Q "<System Drive>\Windows.old" command and press Enter key. Make sure you replace <System Drive> with actual drive in your case, such as C:.

Hope this helps!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rod Falanga (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hello @Rod Falanga,

To delete Windows.old folder, you need to remove previous Windows installation files. Go to Settings app > System > Storage > Temporary files > select Previous Windows installation(s) > and click Remove files.

Or open administrative Command Prompt, type RD /S /Q "<System Drive>\Windows.old" command and press Enter key. Make sure you replace <System Drive> with actual drive in your case, such as C:.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post