black screen at boot

Copper Contributor

When I boot my computer I get nothing but black screens.

When I start into safe mode it works.

I have an nvidia 1070 with an acer predator 43 inch dual display port monitor and a samsung monitor.  They both work fine on Linux, but Windows is just a black screen.

I have tried reinstalling a fresh nvidia driver.  It doesn't help.

This all started after enabling HDR.  When I go to safe mode I cannot disable HDR because the option is missing, but when I boot up it fails.

I can uninstall the nvidia driver and reboot and I can get into my system.

What can I do?

Thanks

28 Replies

Hello @Ryein,

See if this support article helps you anyway:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-or-blank-screen-...

If you still face the issue, I recommend you to contact NVIDIA support for better assistance, as this may be related completely to driver.

Hope this helps! 

My issue is specifically related to HDR being enabled despite it not working.

@Ryein You can try disabling HDR, please put a "Best Response" if this helps you. Hope it works!

@KamThe option isn't present.  When you go into safe mode, or uninstall the nvidia driver the option is missing so you can't disable it, but when you reinstall the driver the screens are black probably because windows remembers the previous settings and has HDR on is what I am guessing.

@Ryein You're using Windows 10, right? And you might try please contact nvidia support.

@KamThis has nothing to do with Nvidia.

@Kapil Arya Please change the link to .../en-us because that should be the default setting. You live in India, so favorite is spelled favourite there.
@Ryein What? You just said it! Then contact at least Acer's support.

@KamNo I didn't.

@Ryein please contact Acer support at least.

@KamThis has nothing to do with my monitor, or Nvidia. 

It is a setting in windows which I have described twice already.  The HDR setting in windows created the problem.

@Ryein Then how can we help you?

@KamI'm going to copy and paste what I previously wrote. 

The option isn't present. When you go into safe mode, or uninstall the nvidia driver the option is missing so you can't disable it, but when you reinstall the driver the screens are black probably because windows remembers the previous settings and has HDR on is what I am guessing.

@Ryein Sorry, I was taking a :hot_beverage:break. :) Try resetting your PC.

@KamWill that delete any of my stuff?

@RyeinYou can always create a D drive and it will not delete there but if you don't know how to create one just backup to another USB drive.

EDIT: sorry the D: drive changed to a scared face LOL

@KamSo basically reinstall windows?

@Ryein Yeah.

@KamYou should reinstall your operating system for that comment.