Azure AD joined computer with multiple users - remember usernames?

Steel Contributor

We have several shared Windows 10 PCs. They are all Azure AD joined, cloud-only, no hybrid/on-prem stuff. Our users login with their organizational accounts only. There are no old-school local users on the computers, nor do we want them.

The sign in process on the computers requires that users have to re-enter their username (email)  and password/PIN every time they change users (by clicking "Other User" on the Lock Screen) because only the last user is remembered. Is there a way to remember (or at least configure) a set of organiztional users on the PC's lock screen, so that they don't have to pick "Other User" every time someone wishes to login?

This is a small business, and they do not use SCCM or Intune as of now, FWIW.

Thank you,

Bob

11 Replies

@Bob Manjoney did you finaly got an answer about this? I am running the same issue as you...

Thanks

Steeve

Never have found a solution for this, sorry Steeve.
Sorry to bring this fold topic but I am faced with the same problem. I work in school and teachers are mainly old and it is really a headache for me to make them enter their credentials every time. There has got to be a way for the pc to remember the accounts.

@naskox having similar issues. Let me know if you figure something out.

I was also thinking that having them only enter their username and automatically adding their domain would be great. Not sure if that's possible.

Apparently people at our school are struggling with the login screen timeout after 30 seconds if you don't enter anything. Can't find a work-around for that yet either.

It's very difficult for young students.

Use gpedit.msc to enable the policy "Enumerate local users on domain-joined computers." It is found at Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Logon.

@tcgcomputers 

What do do when you do and it doesnt work.enumerate users.png

@Joe_H5550  I am having same issue - using gpedit does not work, it only shows the locally added users

Best

Jagdish

@Jagdish_B 

I never found an answer.

It has something to do with azure ad, (it also caused other problems) so I just canceled my subscription and unjoined. My problem went away. MS wanted to charge me to help, LOL

Sorry

@Joe_H5550 and @Jagdish_B 

In addition to the Group Policy setting, did you add the Azure AD user in Settings?

Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Other users. Then click "Add a work or school user," enter the user's Azure AD email address, and choose if they should be a Standard or Administrator level user.

No clue it was so long ago, have since given up.

Thanks for the reply @tcgcomputers and @Joe_H5550  - I have been through this and added and removed the user a number of times. It shows the user account is AD joined in the work accounts even after rebooting the  machine and logging into the machine as local admin - so now this is the account in use. 

- also crearted local user account (which is in use now) as admin, tried removing/disconnecting from AzureAD and readding

Best

Jagdish