SOLVED

Activate Windows

Iron Contributor

I had my laptop recently repaired on keyboard as some of the keys were showing up.  Now there is a watermark Activate Windows on the screen. I went to the settings to activate and have to get a product key. I don't have contact with the seller as I was told this laptop was new though it's really not. How can I get the windows 10 software without purchasing one?

11 Replies

Hi @QueenNini 

Please follow the below link, I hope this article could helpful for you.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/397575/how-to-get-windows-cheap-or-even-for-free.html

@SalmanAhmed Thank you for that. I was hoping to retrieve the previous keys to see if I can reactivate it. Since I bought the laptop from an independent seller, I don't really have access to the product key.

@SalmanAhmed  I used the magic bean key finder and saw the there was a key for windows 10 enterprise. I tried to reactivate it and an error message saying they couldn't connect to the organization server to  contact the support person. I don't know if this version on the computer is really real.

Hi@QueenNini

Windows 10 Enterprise uses a VLK (Volume License Key) instead of a standard key. It is designed for the companies where they have to use VAMT (Volume Activation Management Tool) to provide the activation of multiple machines with a single key within the organization. While doing the activation from a remote computer/server, the system must be connected to the organization's network. (VLMT screenshot attached)Windows Enterprise, VLMTWindows Enterprise, VLMT

@SalmanAhmed So this computer is under an organization's  network and not individual ? That wasn't told to me when I bought the computer? Since I unable to contact the seller or organization, what can be done now install windows 10?

Hi @QueenNini 

Yes, Windows 10 Enterprise is deigned for the large enterprises.

There are different licenses available for the individuals/home user, most common are mentioned below:

• Windows 10 Pro with Retail license 
  • Windows 10 Pro with OEM license (Usually come as a pre-installed by the hardware vendor)
  • Windows 10 Home Retail / OEM

You need to buy a new key (Windows 10 home is the most cheapest one), and need to downgrade your existing Windows 10.

@SalmanAhmed Got it. So even though it's linked to an enterprise, would a windows 10 home license would be accepted even though not connected to the organization's network server?

best response confirmed by QueenNini (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hi @QueenNini,

As of now, Windows 10 Enterprise is not in an active state. I believe that it will be downgraded once you provide the Windows 10 Home activation key. 

• Press Win + I to launch the Settings, then go to the below location:
    Update & Security > Activation > Change product key
  • Add Windows 10 Pro or Home Key, click Next, and then Activate.
  • Restart the computer.

Even though this copy of Windows is installed as an enterprise, but it's not a requirement to connect the organization's network while activating with the Home or Pro key.

@SalmanAhmed Now I'm understanding what the different versions of windows are there. I didn't expect this version though. I will check out those suggestions that you gave and come back if I have anymore questions. Thank you.

I'm glad that the above information was useful for you. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance, I will welcome all the questions you may have.
Best Regards,
-Salman
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by QueenNini (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Hi @QueenNini,

As of now, Windows 10 Enterprise is not in an active state. I believe that it will be downgraded once you provide the Windows 10 Home activation key. 

• Press Win + I to launch the Settings, then go to the below location:
    Update & Security > Activation > Change product key
  • Add Windows 10 Pro or Home Key, click Next, and then Activate.
  • Restart the computer.

View solution in original post