SOLVED

1703->1709 BSOD 0xc00000bb on devices with NVMe SSD's

Brass Contributor

1703->1709 BSOD 0xc00000bb on devices with NVMe SSD's

This will be the very first question I will ask in the AMA.  I hope you have a better answer than "we are working on it" ready for the thousands of us with this issue and waiting for a fix since September.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08485ba0-f69f-483b-861e-238f161dabee/problem-with-...

222 Replies
After doing what I explained up there, no problems so far.

Greetings

Thank you @Constantino Grau Turuelo. I did as you explained. Subscribed to the Windows Insider Program, downloaded, mounted and launched the setup of the windows 17127 build iso and now I'm successfully running on windows 1803.

The windows 1709 perpetual update fail restart nightmare is over! I don't thank you microsoft, because it was five month of disastrous experience with your OS.

Version 1803 appeared in Windows Update yesterday. Sadly it failed to install (with three attempts). I will stick with 1703 until I eventually find a spare day or two to reinstall and reinstate my current setup. Until then I will disable upgrades (as per 1709).

Intel Core i7-7820X, Gigabyte GA-X299-UD4 M/B, 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD.

I can confirm that installing the Windows Insider version helped me as well to update from 1703 to 1803. All other proposed fixes did not help to escape the daily (!) update attempt.

Thanks for this hint/idea!

I was finaly able to update from 1609 to 1803 without problems. Only took about a year to fix and last 3 weeks my version wasn't supported anymore. Fantastic customer support.

Still no luck for me, but perhaps the Windows Update is still downloading the old version for me perhaps.

Does anyone know whether the Update Tool, ISO download is now the latest version?  If it is, I was planning to upgrade using that.

You can check the ISO with this:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/iso-find-windows-build-version-edition-using-dism/

I've downloaded yesterday (danish version), and thats 1803. Will try to install in WE

KR

Kim

I didn't have to download an ISO. I used the "update now" button on this link instead to get the 1803 update (searching for updates in windows didnt find it):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just wanted to add that the update worked. Downloaded the iso for 1803 and my issues are solved. Took 6 months. But glad to be back to normal.

Same here :)   Finally!!!  MS should be ashamed it took them about 9 months to fix this mess.

Downloaded the ISO, burned to disc.  Then installed it.

Worked flawlessly without any problems.  Install took about 30 mins.

I used the online installer to get from 1703 to 1803 on my MSI X99A and Samsung 960 EVO NVME setup and it updated (as far as I can tell) OK. Hopefully there will be no repeat of this fiasco in the future and that 1803 doesn't fall over in the next couple of days!!!

Good luck to all you who have the update left to do, but it does seem to work. 

I wish it was all resolved for myself...

Running the upgrade from an 1803 ISO does not work on my rig.

Tried several other methods as well and the usual simple troubleshooting steps.

Mobo:  MSI Godlike Gaming Carbon (X99A)

NVMe:  Samsung 950 Pro 256Gb

I have a thread here to do with not being able to upgrade to 1803.

That is terrible. 

Mine is:

MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon INTEL X99 Chipset

512GB Samsung SM951 M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

The ISO upgrade worked flawlessly, and the PC has been 100% stable since then.  Obviously no updates since then, or forced restarts etc.

I've got the same problem. I have a Samsung 960 Evo as the system disk.

Microsoft could not follow new Technologies, I guess. They still could not fix the installation problem for all the creator updates on NWME drives.

I tried every method for 1709 creator update. I only managed to install 1709 with a clean install.

I am really fed up with not closing the updates properly and do a clean install everytime Microsoft decides to release a new creator update. Last time I had to install every software again, it was really annoying, even if the Windows keeps the old files.

Today again, Windows tried to update to the new creator update, 1803, and failed again.

It is really disappointing to see the same issue on 1709 is still going on, it's been more than a year. I guess they are waiting for Windows 11 to fix.

If you find a good solution except than clean install, I'd really like to hear.

Thanks. 

Hi all

Finaly I had some spare time to have a look at the 1803 build, sorry for delay..........

In my case I gave up trying to upgrade to 1709. But I've gone from 1703 to 1803 by doing the following:

1. Use media creation tool to download ISO of 1803

2. Unpacked ISO of 1803 to folder with Winrar - Yep You can call it old-fashioned, but I works :)

3. Ran setup

4. Follow guides and wait

5. IT WORKS!!!! Or at least it makes the upgrade. Really haven't testet much yet :)

My HW: Intel E5-1630V3, MSI Raider X99A and Samsung 960 Evo NVME.

But reports are now, that people with Intel and Toshiba SSDs have problems with 1803..... Even Microsoft's own Surface has problems :) So a fix for that will properly be out much faster, than the 1803 was for all of us with non Microsoft hardware.......

Well lets hope Microsoft remembers what they did in build 1803 to get the NVME disks to work, and implements it in next build, so we don't have to start all over again. Still, If anyone stumbles on info what the exact fix was, please post. I wasn't able to find fix list on 1803 regarding this problem :( Someone know how Asus fixed the problem with BIOS update? (Shame on You MSI....)

Best Regards

Kim

The latest version of Win10 has worked perfectly for me, but clearly hasn't for everyone.

I suggest telephoning MS Support and complaining and have them log and escalate the issue and your hardware.  It won't fixed unless they know about it.

I also have sm951 and i've been having issues since saturday. at first i wasn't sure if it was related to update 1803 but i'm starting to think it is. looks like i have to fresh install :(
i hope that solves the problem

I have an Asus  ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming board with a Samsung NVMe    SSD 960.
Up to v 1709 I had no problems.
When I tried to update to 1803 the update fails with different errors which are vaguely related to a driver issue, according to thing I found on MS site. There was no way to find out which driver. The update kept re-downloading and installing.
I then made the mistake to try the update through Medi creation tool. That resulted in a botched install that tried to roll back but could not, and bricked my PC.
Next I tried a clean install of 1803. This kept failing due to BSODs.
I decided to go back to a clean 1709 install, and put windows update in Semi Annual Channel +365 days.
Since then , no problems.
A month later , after OS Build 17134.48 came out, I tried to update again - it failed again.
I dare not try with OS Build 17134.81.
A second computer I tried this update on is an HP Probook 440 G5 , which has an Intel Pro 6000p. This was an update from 1703. It updated without a problem, but since then had an assortment of BSODs, mostly "critical process died".
To make things worse, the OS does not create any dump files to analyze.
I called HP support who kindly sent me to Microsoft to work it out with them. Yeah, right.
I did a factory reset to 1703 (took over 2 hours) and upgraded to 1709. So far, no BSODs.
The intel ssd is mentioned in the incompatibility list of the first 1803 versions. But the MS description of the errors is quite different then what I had:
"When attempting to upgrade to the Window 10 April 2018 Update, select devices with Intel SSD 600p Series or Intel SSD Pro 6000p Series may repeatedly enter a UEFI screen after restart or stop working."

My conclusion is that MS completely screwed this update.
I know quite a few people who's PC was bricked by the automatic update. Some have Win 10 Home, so they cannot delay this update.
I would not be surprised if a large class action lawsuit is opened against MS.
In my business we have 20 PCs with WIn 10 1709. If they were bricked we would suffer significant financial and reputation damage. Luckily all our PCs are set to Semi Annual Channel +365 days., and I hope none will get this update.
I think if you have an ssd machine, you should avoid this update for now. Don't trust MS on this update. You might suffer significant damage. If you can, back your computer with an imaging program such as Acronis TI . This is the fastest way to get back up should this update brick your PC.
Absurdly, if you have an old PC with HDD you are probably safe, at least from the few PCs I updated.
Unbelievable.

Hi Rodriguez

What are you're bios configs?:

• Is you're storage set to AHCI? IDE tends to have problems with recent Windows Updates, pretty old storage driver.
  • Is WHQL forced on your MoBo? Could also be a issue, try to disable it, if enabled.
  • Is you 960 set as first and primary boot device?

For me it almost look like you're SSD is not getting detected as Boot Device. Well could be a Windows Update Problem :p

1. AHCI
2. No WHQL setting in my BIOS
3. 960 is first and primary boot device.
Plus, why in the world would that matter in 1803 and not in 1709 ???
That update is botched. I'm not the only one. Look at this:
https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-april-2018-update-common-problems-and-fixes.