SOLVED

1703->1709 BSOD 0xc00000bb on devices with NVMe SSD's

Brass Contributor

1703->1709 BSOD 0xc00000bb on devices with NVMe SSD's

This will be the very first question I will ask in the AMA.  I hope you have a better answer than "we are working on it" ready for the thousands of us with this issue and waiting for a fix since September.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08485ba0-f69f-483b-861e-238f161dabee/problem-with-...

222 Replies

I started a thread on the MSI Forum since this is getting pretty bad...Windows is warning me every day and reboots when I am away for more than 30 minutes, so i lose open files sometimes.:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=301785.0

Dude WTF? You copied my Rant to the MSI Forum xD

I too feel EXTREMELY ANGRY at the appalling support from MS.

No fix, no temporary reprieve from repeated failed updates, and no communication on the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_UCyiJaH0Q

I have tried other ways to disable the Windows Update assistant.  This video was helpful.  Does not fix the issue, but I am hoping will keep my computer from rebooting several times a day.

Hope it helps

All

I struggled with this issue myself. Owning an MSI SLI X99 board I had a black screen after 1709. I had installed a new hard drive a while back and changed the Sata port. 

After my 15th attempt it worked. So suggest unplugging all hard drives except boot to see if that resolves your issue.

Same problem on new HP Omen laptop with PM961 Samsung NVME SSD.
I've found that there is a problem with power management in Win10 and NVME SSD.
If the PCI Express option Link State Power Management in powerplan is selected to Maximun powersafe - the NVME SSD slept and laptop have BSOD with CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. SSD not available until shutdown and power on.

Microsoft, YOU are a bunch of incompetent half-wits.  What does it take to communicate with your CUSTOMERS on this issue?   No fix, repeated restarts, lost work.

Moronic incompetent idiots!

I have finally had enough!!!!

I tried to BLOCK EVERYTHING Upgrade/Update -related with my firewall (even kill processes), gone to scheduler and deactivated everything there is related to the update mechanisms AND STILL IT WILL TRY TO UPGRADE!!! i'm gettin really annoyed by this!

PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!

My System

MSI x99a Gaming 9 ACK

Samsung 960 Pro M.2 2280 NVMe 512GB

OBVIOUSELY Windows 10 :(

Thank you microsoft.png

Hi guys,

I have great news. It looks like that the new Spring Creators Update will solve our problems. I am right now with that distribution (updated from the anniversary update) working without any problems and after avoiding the BSOD while updating.

Credits to the user "msi" from the msi forum:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=301785.0

I copy/paste from his thread (links at the msi forum post):

"I found a solution for this struggle I had the last 8 month!!
I just tried everythind but a clean install. So now I thought about not installing 1709, but 1803 which was released as final some days ago.
With this trick I got my PC on WIN 10 1803:

-Download ISO File: Deskmodder I used the x64 german file, but most of you might need the english one.
-Download ISO to bootable USB tool unetbootin
-Create a flashdrive with latest ISO
-Restart PC
-Navigate in explorer, open setup.exe on USB medium
-Choose install and keep data/settings

The installation process starts and keeps up - no error after reboot!
I don't know if MS did any changes with this new function update, but main thing is that it works like charm!"

From my side I have also a small contribution. You should install the package which has your language, otherwise you will not be able to upgrade without losing your apps/programs due to language incompatibility. That was my case. I could not find .iso files for my language, only RU, EN, and DE.

My solution was to register as insider and to download the last iso available directly from microsoft (the page only works with edge!!!:(

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewiso

Probably you can download that withouth being insider, but I did it after registering so I do not know if that is a prerequisite or not. Right now the most updated version was the build 17127.

After choosing the last build and my language, the iso file was downloaded, I mounted it (you have that option built in windows) and then I did the install directly from the setup.exe as usual (it is not necessary to use an usb stick). Everything went smoothly and my windows was updated without any BSOD and I do not get the annoying forced updates anymore.

As a suggestion, after updating to the build 17127, I recommend to look for updates and update to the build 17133 (Windows 1803) as that will be the final public version for the Spring Creators Update. I did that and then I left the windows insider option so that I do not get more updates from that source, only from public releases.

I guess that it will be possible to get the update through the windows update soon (in 10 days or so) but they are 10 days of getting again the annoying update messages, reboots and dealing with the update orchestrator.

Please, if it works for you, post it here, so that we know it is working.

Greetings

Why was the last message here deleted?  It suggested a fix in the next Windows update.

Microsoft, you really are beyond contempt.  Look up the word "COMMUNICATION".

No wonder Apple is beating you in many markets.  No wonder Sony and Nintendo have beaten you into the ground in the console market (globally).

Incompetent company!

My 2 posts with the solution were reported as spam...

I wrote it also on the msi-forum, so you can check this out there (the link was posted by another mate above).

Greetings

Hey Constantino, thanks for your posts :).

Tried it out with the Insider ISO and the upgrade really worked.

The first time I tried it with a mounted USB I got a BSOD.

After that I mounted the Image with CloneDrive directly on my PC and ran the Upgrade.

After that the Upgrade worked without a Problem. So the next Update (1803) should adress the X99 + NVME SSD Upgrade Problem.

For anybody who wants to download the Insider Image: Deskmodder

We have an automated spam filter, so sometimes messages get marked that aren't actually spam.

Our team manually goes through every weekday and moves messages out of the spam filter that don't belong. Sorry for the inconvenience. (I did delete the duplicate message since it was a re-post, but your original post is there.) 

Thank you very much for the clarification and for restoring the initial post :D.

I was really wondering what I did wrong.

Greetings

Hi

Thanks for the useful info. I'll be waiting for the new build from MS, and when its there, I'll post results here.

Kind Regards

Kim

Hi all,

I have the same problem.

My setup : MSI X99A GAMING 7 with Samsung 960 EVO 250Gb.

Do you think I could upgrade windows 10 on my computer with the last ISO of windows 10 (with 1709 update).

I saw on this forum, people has cloned their NVMe on a ssd disk, made the upgrade on ssd and clone back the ssd to nvme. Apparently, it works...

What is the best method to correct this issue ?

Hi all,

I've reinstalled my computer from scratch, with W10 1709 iso. My data are on other disk, so I don't waste my time to backup everything, i've just reinstalled drivers and software.

I hope the next update won't be a new problem with NVMe SSD.

I skip the version 1709. I have upgraded my system from 1703 to 1803. Worked for me.

Where i can get 1803 version? AFAIK its not released officially yet.

It should have been launched start April, but there was some problems with performance + BSOD (according to MS), so its unfortunately delayed for an unknown amount of time :( I think You should be a member of the Windows Insider program to get the build as it is now.

How about You guys that run 1803, have You exp. performance problems or BSODs?

KR

Kim