SOLVED

0x8000ffff errors when trying to install updates

Copper Contributor

I am running Windows 10 ver 2004 build 19041.1 on a Lenovo laptop. I am unable to install 3 updates: KB4577586, KB5004331, and KB5005565.  I repeatedly get the 0x8000ffff error after it appears they have downloaded and are installing. Then each one stops with that error message. Other updates have appeared and installed successfully e.g. KB4023057. I  have tried chkdsk, scan disk and other tutorials using the command prompt.  Sometimes I get the error 0x800706ba with the KB5004331-cumulative update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 version 2004 for x64.   I have the option below these updates to download and install “Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H1”.  Can I just ignore these other updates and just go ahead and install the feature update?

4 Replies
best response confirmed by BL202545 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@BL202545 

Hello
Of course you can do it!
Your System Version is already outdated - this is the cause of your problems .
It is good that you write about it - because updating features is very important
so that other updates have a common environment.
Good luck

If all goes well, your system version (19043.1237)
But remember to make a copy of your personal files beforehand, just in case

@A1 thanks. I did try to install the feature update but it failed as well after Windows tried to install the other failed updates first. I then contacted Microsoft support via chat and the tech guided me to the media creation tool to install the update, which was successful. This computer had not been used for quite some time which is how it got so far behind.  Thanks for your advice

Thank you for your answer - it's good that you found effective help from Microsoft support.
Best regards
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by BL202545 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@BL202545 

Hello
Of course you can do it!
Your System Version is already outdated - this is the cause of your problems .
It is good that you write about it - because updating features is very important
so that other updates have a common environment.
Good luck

View solution in original post