SetupDiag information next release of Windows 10

Brass Contributor

Is the auto generation of setupdiag results, when upgrade failures happen,  still scheduled for the next release of Windows 10 like it was talked about at Ignite and if yes, will we be able to leverage it in ConfigMgr from the get go?

Thks in advance.

5 Replies

@Stephane Lalancette Yes. This integration is available in the May 2020 update as announced at Ignite. 

Is there any additional documentation on how it will work? Will we be able to control the options in the setup command line? Like, can I force it to run setupdiag on ALL upgrades, even successful, can I redirect the output logs to a specific folder? Are there any new options like redirecting the registry keys to a different location as well? Did you work with the CM Team to have these Key automatically inventoried? Would really like that if these were automatically inventoried then a new report / dashboard in CM to surface the data easily.

@gwblok 

When setup launches setupdiag, the parameters are:

/ZipLogs:False
/Format:xml
/Output:%windir%\logs\SetupDiag\SetupDiagResults.xml
/RegPath:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\SetupDiag\Results

These are documented at:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/deployment-troubleshooting-and...

We're working with @Dune Desormeaux to get ConfigMgr integration, it is on their roadmap, but I'm not aware of a release date. Dune may have more. 

Regarding setup parameters, no new parameters, but glad to discuss more your ideas (as well as ConfigMgr plans). 

@Steve_DiAcetis 
Thanks Steve

We currently run SetupDiag on each upgrade.  We grab the setup time for reporting metrics on how long it takes for the upgrade to run.
If upgrade fails, we then inventory some of the keys which are populated into custom reports I've written for our upgrade process. 
Based on some of the SetupDiag output, we also flag some machines for reimage as we've learned some SetupDiag return codes point to issues that aren't worth resolving (or able to resolve) and the best course is Wipe / Load.
Very excited for SetupDiag to be integrated.

Question, if SetupDiag is integrated into the upgrade, will we still be able to call it standalone?  Where will the upgrade process place it?  During upgrade does it get copied into a specific folder?  Does it get autoatmically "cleaned up" after upgrade, (windows.old folder?), or will it stick around forever? Panther folder?

@gwblok Setup extracts all its sources files to %SystemDrive%\$Windows.~bt\Sources, including setupdiag.exe.

If upgrade is successful, this directory is moved to Windows.old\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources and the setupdiag.exe binary remains there unless deleted.