Prevent a driver's auto update by Windows update

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone.

In the following link : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-rei...

is described how to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10.

It would be very convenient and easier for users to add as a New Feature a switch option for excluding/including a driver from autoupdating by Windows update in the context menu ( right click menu ) of any driver in Device Manager at will. Also, in Device Manager's Action menu to add a switch option for excluding/including all drivers from autoupdating by Windows update - Note: this specific switch option under Device Manager's Action menu will remove/reset any custom exclusion/inclusion defined for each specific driver individually ( users must be notified through a messagebox about this ).

Thank you very much.

5 Replies

Hi,
that's a useful feedback specially for the end users, I think it's best to submit it in the Feedback hub app to be up-voted.

Also, apart from the method mentioned in your link above, there are other methods to achieve what you're looking for, even right now.

please take a look at this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to-prevent-windows-from-automatically-updating-specific-drivers...

and this:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/block-driver-updates-specific-devices-windows10/

@HotCakeX 

Hello.

Thank you for your recommendations, i'm aware of them, however it would be much easier for users to just select a switch option to achieve what they want because not all people have the technical background and skills to deal with Registry editing or Group Policies or tools like GPedit are not available in all Windows 10 versions - Incorrect use of both of these tools may create unpredictable system behaviour or severe damage - that's why i suggested this hassle-free way of dealing with this issue.  It's very important to be taken under consideration by the developer teams of any contemporary OSs like Windows 10 that the majority of their users have no or limited technical backround of using Windows advanced tools and techniques so, it's always a plus to make their users' lives less painful whenever possible.

Thank you very much.

I totally agree with you, people should be able to use the Windows OS with the least technical background required, hope they add this option in the next Windows build,
and you're welcome :)

by the way I was curios to ask the reason that you don't want Windows update install a hardware driver for you, does the Windows update download an older driver version for you or is there another problem?
thanks

@HotCakeX 

Hello my friend.

The reason is ( and not just for me ) there are devices that work only with specific driver versions because the accompanying software that are designed to work with is made for older versions of Windows and have compatibility issues when working with newer driver versions. So, people are often instructed by the technical support of such device/software vendors to use only specific driver versions in order to avoid such compatibility issues. That's the only reason.

Thank you.

Hi,
Thank you for the explanation, I understand now :)