Delay Feature Upgrades past 365 days with Windows Update for Business?

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I would like to know if Feature Upgrades can be delayed past 365 days to prevent devices from upgrading to Windows 10 1903/1909?  I want to keep my fleet at Windows 10 1809 right now while still moving to Windows Update for Business from Configuration Manager Windows update management.  Moving to WUfB means my users won't need VPN to get their Windows Updates from SCCM.

Thanks.

3 Replies

@jbyers If you are using Windows Update for Business, I would recommend that you utilize Feature Update Pause Start Date in order to prevent feature updates from being offered to the device for up to 35 days at a time. Please let me know if you have any questions on how to do this (docs here)

@Aria Carley 

Thanks for the reply.  So you're saying simply Pause the Feature Updates and continue to move the Pause start date forward?  My fear there is a client may not pick up the periodically changing start date if it does not sign onto VPN regularly to contact AD/SCCM.  Is there a way to permanently pause a feature update with WUfB?

Thanks.

@jbyers I would recommend doing something such as: set the pause feature updates start date for 4/22/2020, then adjust the date to 5/6/2020 to ensure that devices have 2+ weeks to connect and get the policy change. Additionally, I will determine if there is another method available to permanently pause feature updates until you are ready and will follow back on this thread with more information. :)