1703 to 1709 upgrade is reinstalling in-box apps!

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am testing the Windows 10 Servicing feature in SCCM (running v.1710 with latest hotfix).

I am upgrading a Windows 10 Enterprise Swedish v.1703 installation to v.1709 using the Servicing feature.
The initial 1703 installation files are untouched except one thing, I de-provisioned some of the in-box apps that we didn't want (xbox, get office, skype etc.) using Andre Pickers PowerShell script before importing the wim file into SCCM.

My TS installs 1703 without issues and without the unwanted in-box apps.

According to the release notes for v.1703 from Microsoft the applications that I de-provisioned in the 1703 wim file will not be reinstalled when doing a feature upgrade to 1709:
"Uninstalled in-box apps no longer automatically reinstall
Starting with Windows 10, version 1703, in-box apps that were uninstalled by the user won't automatically reinstall as part of the feature update installation process.

Additionally, apps de-provisioned by admins on Windows 10, version 1703 machines will stay de-provisioned after future feature update installations. This will not apply to the update from Windows 10, version 1607 (or earlier) to version 1703." 

This is just not true. All of the de-provisioned apps were back once the upgrade to 1709 was completed. Tested it on two different computers, same result.

Anybody seen this before?

Did I de-provision the apps the wrong way?

Regards
P-H, Sweden

2 Replies

Yes, I have similar issues. Though not strictly using all the servicing features; paying as close attention as possible to changes made, (some of) the older in-box apps are reinstalled AND newer ones as well.