Questions on Win 10

Copper Contributor

I'm wondering about the autopilot:

1) Does this work with set up school PCs?
2) What happens if you don't have internet access when signing in?
3) Which OEMs support this?

4) can existing devices be added to the autopilot?

5) What are updates like on Win 10 S? Are they faster than Win 10?

28 Replies

AutoPilot refers to a collection of modern deployment solutions. Under this umbrella, there is a deployment solution for setting up school PCs.

For any AutoPilot solution to work, internet connection is mandatory. AutoPilot configs from the cloud can't take effect without connectivity.

Big OEMs such as Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc are part of the first wave of supporters and the earliest of these will start supporting in eary fall, is what we are working towards. We hope that in/by 2018, all OEMs will support AutoPilot.

for devices that have win 10 RS2 build, you can use a powershell script to then deploy via AutoPilot.

What about Windows 10 S? Are updates any faster than Win 10?

Do you need SCCM for Windows 10 S? I know you need sccm for Win 10 for optimal deployment.

Do you need internet access for shared PC configuration on Windows 10 and 10 S? 

ConfigMgr does not support Windows 10 S, you can manage it via MDM channel.

Hi Julia, For the shared PC configuration, once you have the config in the USB stick, you dont need internet access from then on.

4)  Yes, existing devices can be added to Windows AutoPilot using the Microsoft Store for Business.  You can upload a CSV file with the hardware details.  To collect these details, you need to have Windows 10 1703 installed on the device, then you can run (elevated) a script like https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/Get-WindowsAutoPilotInfo to create the CSV.

Adding to the answer around existing devices being added to AutoPilot:

- you can use the sample script to harverst the Device IDs: https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/Get-WindowsAutoPilotInfo/1.0/DisplayScript

- you can extend the Device Inventory to store the Device IDs

- And then setup AutoPilot up through the Windows Store for Business

Do you have any other info on:

What about Windows 10 S? Are updates any faster than Win 10?

Do you need SCCM for Windows 10 S? I know you need sccm for Win 10 for optimal deployment.

Do you need internet access for shared PC configuration on Windows 10 and 10 S? 

So for Win 10 S you only need Intune? 

Is AutoPilot being extended to VARs?

Sorry, what is VARs?

Yes, Intune can manage Windows 10 S.

Value Added Resellers who resell HP, Dell, Lenovo systems.

Insight, CDW, SHI, etc.

Absolutely, already piloting with some of the resellers now.

That's odd because when I set up my devices with Set Up School PCs, I could only sign in as a student if the laptop was connected. It wouldn't recognize the user otherwise...Any insight?

When using Azure AD, the first logon for a user will require internet access to validate the credentials.  After that, cached credentials can be used to log on.  It's still a good idea to have some amount of internet connectivity when using Azure AD.

So does this mean that without internet, students have to know which computer to go to in order to sign in (i.e. they have to use the same computer)?

They will need (limited) internet access for the first sign-on to each new machine that they use.  

So does this mean that for the future devices, you won't have to run the script? The OEMs will give you this information for Autopilot?

But for now, to get the device information, the script allows you to use autopilot...am i right?

Yes, we are working with OEMs, resellers, and distributors to have this information automatically gathered, and they'll be able to upload it on your behalf or provide it to you so that you can upload it.  Both mechanisms simplify the steps to get a device ready for Windows AutoPilot.

I've read you need to deploy Intune as well as SCCM in order to fully manage devices in your organization. But I just learned SCCM cannot manage Win 10 S. How does this work?