SOLVED

Group Policy Limits

Copper Contributor

We would like to control user options with Group Policy (i.e., Lock Screen, Logon Screen, etc.). This now seems to require Windows 10 Enterprise. We have purchased new units with WIndows Pro Licenses, but cannot currently move to WIndows 10 due to these limitations. is there any way to EASILY convert Windows 10 Pro PCs to Windows 10 Enterprise using a special key? or would they all have to be reimaged?

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Scott Reeves (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Windows 10 Enterprise only can be purchased thru Volume Licencing. No re-imaging necessary, you can perform product key change and reboot the PC. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/windows-10-edition-upgrades

What's the minimum number of licences a volume licence can consist of?

Hi Leon.

You are asking a great question, but let me rephrase it a little, if I may.

In order to make volume purchases of elegible Microsoft products you must have an active volume license agreement. These agreements have an active lifetime that can be either 2 years or 3 years in length. There are minimum requirements for opening a new volume agreement.

In order to create a new volume agreement with Microsoft you must purchase 5 licenses. The 5 licenses can be for the same product, like 5 licenses of Office 2016 Pro Plus. Alternatively, you clould purchase 1 license each for 5 different products, like 1 each for Windows 10 Enterprise upgrade, Office 2016 Pro Plus, Windows Server 2016 CAL, SQL Server 2016 CAL, and a license for SQL Server 2016 Standard.

Once you have an active agreement in place you can purchase individual licenses at any time durring the period of the active agreement.

The active period of the agreement only applies to making new product license and software assurance purchases. The agreement has no thing to do with how long you can use the products you purchase. In most cases, like those in my examples above, the licesnes are perpetual use licenses.

I hope this helps!

Ed Gallagher, MVP

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Scott Reeves (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Windows 10 Enterprise only can be purchased thru Volume Licencing. No re-imaging necessary, you can perform product key change and reboot the PC. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/windows-10-edition-upgrades

View solution in original post