SOLVED

Windows 10 2004 Update and Setup School PC Provisioning Package Fails

Copper Contributor

We have been using a bootable USB stick with Windows 10 1909 (Media Creation Tool) and provisioning packages created with the Setup School PC app to join several hundred devices to our Azure AD and Intune.

I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool to create a Windows 10 2004 bootable USB stick. I also created a new provisioning package in Setup School PC as well as used existing known good provisioning packages.

I boot the device with the 2004 USB stick and install a clean install of Windows 10. After the device reboots, I get prompted to select the provisioning package the Windows setup detects on the USB drive. After a few seconds, it says "Setup completed with errors" with 'Apply policies' highlighted in yellow text. The only options are Reset PC or Try Again.

This same device does work using a Windows 10 1909 bootable USB stick.

Is this a bug or where can I go to troubleshoot this? Fortunately we kept our 1909 bootable USB sticks so we can still setup devices. I've attached a screenshot of the error.

42 Replies

@Liz_Cox Changing the name isn't an option using this method as you can see in the screenshot below.  I also tested ita again and it failed with the same error I was getting before.

pghdjspaz_0-1593703897201.png

@pghdjspaz not sure if my picture didn't attach but this is where you want to go for rename:

elcox_0-1593704565990.png

did you follow the steps to import a SUSPC package (not a WCD package from scratch)? By failing with the same error do you mean failing on Sway and OneDrive or with the other error you got from WCD. I recommend creating the SUSPC package because it will have the right settings and then import it in WCD to remove those two apps and add in the rename. 

@Liz_Cox Yes, I followed your directions to the letter and your screenshot was there but as you can see in my screenshot those settings are not available.  I created the file in SUSPC closed the app, opened the designer, imported the file, and that's what it gives me as options.  I tried on two different desktops.  I attached the file so you can give it a try on your end.

As you can see in my screenshot the options simply do not exist.

The error I get is 0x800700b7

pghdjspaz_0-1593705089950.png

@Liz_Cox 

The screen I'm talking about looks to be related to 2004 vs 1909 and not related to the SUSPC app.

The provisioning does complete successfully. The screen I'm talking about is when you first sign in and it says "Setting up your device for work" and doesn't let you access the desktop until it finishes. There use to be a "Continue anyway" button on this screen to let the user get to the desktop quickly while apps could install in the background. It seems like the continue anyway button came out in 1903 or 1909.

Hi @Liz_Cox 

I know this is not exactly the topic here. I lost a lot of time with the renam button bug so I hope you can help me too:

Is there a method to make region / language settings for the set up school pc provisioning package?

The provisioning package starts on the setup region screen so the language cannot be configured manually. This will result in the clients being configured after enrollment de-DE instead of de-CH.

Is there any other solution?

Thanks

@REM87 hi there.  Is de-CH Swiss German? There is a method, but it relies on using a Local Experience Pack from the MS Store, and I'm not seeing Swiss German available there. I'm seeing if there's some other way we can obtain the Language Pack for bulk distribution. Will keep you posted! 

@pghdjspaz ah, I see now. Sorry about that. Rename should now be fixed in SUSPC if you're using the latest version (1000.17147.18.0). Unfortunately, I can't do much with the error code, but  if you're able to send me a picture of the blue provisioning screen or send me logs, I can help. 

@Liz_Cox 

thanks for the quick answer. de-CH was just an example. I am looking for a way to configure the input language when using a Set up School PC Provisiong Pack. The OOBE Set Region Step is automatically skipped when the Provisioning Pack starts. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/education/windows/use-set-up-school-pcs-app#run-package---install-p...)

Can the provisioning pack be started after the OOBE Region Step as described here? (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/provisioning-packages/provisioning-how-it-wor...)

The two descriptions are unfortunately inconsistent.

(With a German Base Image no LXP is necessary for the Keyboard Layout de-CH)

@Liz_Cox The new version of SUSPC works to a degree.  It will do everything up until it comes time to join to the domain.  It says it joins it to Azure but it actually doesn't do anything.  I'm thinking we may need to use Windows Configuration Designer to create the provisioning package because correct me if I'm wrong but does SUSPC can't join to an AD domain, correct?  

I attempted to use Windows Configuration Designer to no avail :\ 

I also don't have the option to get the logs.  As always any help is greatly appreciated!

SUSPC should let you join an Azure AD domain. We've used it on about 700 devices in the last year.
Yesterday I created a new USB (2004 media creation tool) and a new prov package from the latest SUSPC. It let us put in the computer naming pattern and did join our Azure AD fine.

@MDSD421 We're in a hybrid environment so it needs to join to AD locally which I don't believe is possible using the SUSPC app.  I've only seen success in using the Windows Configuration Designer but that is failing as well.

@pghdjspaz Yes, you are correct SUSPC only AAD joins and cannot join to a local domain. I don't have expertise on local domain join, but if you PM me your email I can put you in touch with someone who does and will be able to help. 

@Liz_Cox I've made some progress with this provisioning package.  I can get some of our surface go's to work but others won't.  It appears they are joining to the domain but still stating they are failing while others work flawlessly.  Any thoughts?

@REM87 unfortunately there's not a way to go through OOBE and then apply a provisioning package.  You're best best is figuring out a way to change the region settings through the provisioning package. I'll look around to see if there's a way to do that. 

@MDSD421 My laptops will eventually Enroll to Azure AD but will always fail under the "Configure the user interface" part. I've made that SUSPC is the latest version and I select 2004 (same as install.wim). So far 5/5 laptops are getting stuck here and can't move forward. 

Do I have the latest version of windows 10 , I have win 10 2004.

We got some problems using the SUSPC and WCD since the last updates.

A package created by SUSPC fails with the "Sway" and "Skydrive" issue. Removing these two items in WCD still left 2 invalid settings.

No idea where to find these invalid items to build a working deployment package.

Anyone with the same issue and maybe a hint how to solve this?

@FSERZ Hi, even if it still shows some invalid settings, you should still be able to save this updated a ppkg and try with that. Let me know if this works!