SOLVED

Windows 10 2004 Update and Setup School PC Provisioning Package Fails

Copper Contributor

We have been using a bootable USB stick with Windows 10 1909 (Media Creation Tool) and provisioning packages created with the Setup School PC app to join several hundred devices to our Azure AD and Intune.

I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool to create a Windows 10 2004 bootable USB stick. I also created a new provisioning package in Setup School PC as well as used existing known good provisioning packages.

I boot the device with the 2004 USB stick and install a clean install of Windows 10. After the device reboots, I get prompted to select the provisioning package the Windows setup detects on the USB drive. After a few seconds, it says "Setup completed with errors" with 'Apply policies' highlighted in yellow text. The only options are Reset PC or Try Again.

This same device does work using a Windows 10 1909 bootable USB stick.

Is this a bug or where can I go to troubleshoot this? Fortunately we kept our 1909 bootable USB sticks so we can still setup devices. I've attached a screenshot of the error.

42 Replies
Windows 10 1909 bootable USB stick is not modified and does not have provisioned packages it worked. But if modified the intsll.wim with provisioned packages and made bootable usb stick, it gives error..so please verify that you properly created the provisioned packages.

@RAJUMATHEMATICSMSC 

Thanks for the reply. The Setup School PC app wizard generates the packages. It's a very simple wizard and does not have a lot of options. The only option that is somewhat relevant is when it asks you to select which OS version is running on the student PC. The option I'm choosing is 'Windows 10 1903 and later.'

It doesn't modify the install.wim. Once the Setup School PC wizard is done, it generates a .cat and .ppkg file that are then saved to the bootable USB stick.

My guess is Microsoft will need to update the Setup School PC app to support Windows 10 2004 edition.

I just decided to use my Windows 10 1909 bootable USB stick and let Intune update the devices to the 2004 edition. It would be nice to be able to save some time and install the 2004 edition directly to the device.

best response confirmed by MDSD421 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@MDSD421 Hi there! Sorry for not seeing this issue sooner! We have made an update to fix this issue. Make sure you have the latest version of SUSPC downloaded from the store (right now it's 1000.17147.17.0) and you should be good to go! Note that 2004 is not yet visible in the OS dropdown, select "1903 and later". 

That worked! I made a new USB stick with the media creation tool and a new provisioning package with the latest SUSPC app. The device deployed successfully.

@Liz_Cox I'm having the same issue but no matter what I try provisioning fails on over half of our surface go's.  It works flawlessly on some but just fails out on others.  Any input or advice would be great!

@pghdjspaz are you doing this with 2004 devices? Are all the devices the same OS image? If possible, can you message me a picture of what the screen looks like when provisioning fails. 

@Liz_Cox 

I noticed a couple of glitches when using the new Setup School PC app.

1. When you get to the Device Names step, the next button is grayed out. No matter what name pattern you enter, the next button remains grayed out. You can click on Continue With Existing Names and create the package. After deploying the package on a computer, the computer ignores the name patter and gets the default "Desktop-" name. I then have to rename the device from Intune and have it append the serial number. We use Intune groups to deploy apps and settings, so having to manually rename several hundred devices will get very time consuming. 
  2. After deployment is finished and you go to sign in, the "Continue anyway" button is gone, so you have to wait for the initial setup to finish each time a new person signs in before the user gets to the desktop.  DeviceNames.PNG

@Liz_Cox I decided to go back to 1909 which fixed the provisioning issue but the only problem I have now is no matter where I try to create the provisioning package the next button is greyed out when trying to customize the name.

@pghdjspaz the greyed out rename button is a bug, and we're working to fix as soon as possible. If it can't wait, you can create a provisioning package with Windows Configuration Designer- the rename functionality still works there. 

@Liz_Cox I've been trying to use that and it continues to fail with multiple provisioning errors :\

@MDSD421  the greyed out rename button is a bug, and we're working to fix as soon as possible. If it can't wait, you can create a provisioning package with Windows Configuration Designer- the rename functionality still works there. 

For issue #2- I'm having trouble understanding  what is happening. Does provisioning complete successfully? If so, there shouldn't be a "continue anyway" button. 

Are you creating the package in WCD from scratch, or are you importing a package from Set Up School PCs into WCD? You said you're provisioning 1909 devices? Did you see what it failed on. If possible, would you be able to message me a picture of the error screen? 

I've also noticed the domain join functionality isn't working.  I'll try with the Windows Configuration tool but again that has proven to cause issues as well.  This seems to happen every year around this time...

@pghdjspaz so domain join wasn't working with a Set Up School PCs package? Did that pop up on an error screen or did provisioning complete without domain joining? Are you using WiFi or ethernet?

@Liz_Cox I created it from scratch. I'm in the process of testing again and will update you with the error if it occurs.

@Liz_Cox It states that it's a success on the domain join but when I check it actually is failing.  It errors out on what looks to me like two app removals or additions but I don't have either of those settings checked in the package.  I keep it very basic, here are the steps I'm attempting to apply with the SUSPC app.

-Sign in with my account

- Add WiFi

- Continue with existing names (since the button is greyed out)

- Select OS version Windows 10 1903 or later

Allow local storage (not recommended for shared devices)

- Select time zone

- I leave the personalization at the default but use the next button not the continue without personalization

The test with the configuration designer failed with this error 0x8007000d

This is the error that I get when using the configuration designer application.

error 0x8007000d

It doesn't go anywhere from here.  It just stops and states Provisioning failure.

@pghdjspaz okay thanks for providing that info. Here's what I want you to do. Create the package in Set Up School PCs like you did before, then save it a USB. Keep that USB plugged in. Close Set Up School PCs, wait a minute, then open Windows Configuration designer. In WCD select Advanced Provisioning, All Desktop editions, okay. Then choose to import a package, then navigate over to your USB drive (usually D drive) and select the Set Up School PCs package. Then "Finish". There will be an error message. Click okay. Then remove the SkyDrive and Sway Apps as pictured below. Then save the package. 

elcox_0-1593702074236.png

@Liz_Cox @pghdjspaz you can also do you rename while you are in WCD. Typing in a prefix + "-%SERIAL%" will append the device's serial number to the end of the device name just like Set Up School PCs usually does. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MDSD421 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@MDSD421 Hi there! Sorry for not seeing this issue sooner! We have made an update to fix this issue. Make sure you have the latest version of SUSPC downloaded from the store (right now it's 1000.17147.17.0) and you should be good to go! Note that 2004 is not yet visible in the OS dropdown, select "1903 and later". 

View solution in original post