Roaming Profile problem with NTUSER.DAT synchronization timestamp

Copper Contributor

Hello,

we are using roaming profiles in our company and since we rolled out Windows 10, we got the problem that the file NTUSER.DAT won't be synchronized because of a "wrong" timestamp. The logon to the system takes very long because of this error and the system gets unstable. There was a thread @Joe Friedel  some years ago which described the error in the same way: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-10-deployment/issue-with-date-modified-for-ntuser-dat...

There was a powershell script posted at this thread which should solve the problem, but it doesn't for us. It seems like simply trying to set the modified date on the file doesn't work. In the event logs (eventid 69 / source user profile general) the timestamp is completely different from the modified date. I don't know where this timestamp is gotten from, also in the log the timestamp of the two files is the same, but it doesn't show seconds just minutes. Since a few days there is another symptomatic, as the modified date seems to be set to 01.01.1980 01:00 AM on synchronization automatically.

We also tried to setup a new windows 10 machine without any software installed and logged on an empty, new created user. On the second login the problem already exists.

For any help i would be very grateful!

2 Replies

@edvrhauderfehn We are having this exact same issue and just discovered it today. Have you made any progress with it since this post? 

Update: So after some more investigation on our end, I noticed that along with the user profile timestamp error we were seeing in the event logs, the users were having warning related to the "%appdata%\Microsoft\Installer" location. The event ID for this error is 1509 and stated that the contents of this directory did not have the correct permissions to copy data from the server profile, to the local profile. 

I created the following registry key to exclude certain folders that should not be getting copied over with the roaming profile. After I did this, and tested it out on a problematic profile, this resolved my issue, including the timestamp problem:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"ExcludeProfileDirs"="AppData\Local;AppData\LocalLow;AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Installer;$Recycle.Bin;OneDrive;Work Folders"

Update2: We ended up having many other users that were experiencing this issue and I created a group policy that excludes the directory I listed above. 

• User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System/User Profiles\Exclude Directories in Roaming Profile.
    • appdata\Romaing\Microsoft\installer;

I also had some people receiving an Event ID of 1534 "Profile notification of event Load for component {B31118B2-1F49-48E5-B6F5-BC21CAEC56FB} failed, error code is See Tracelogging for error details. " This was a result of left over registry keys after upgrading to 1809.

To fix: 

• In your registry take ownership of the following registry keys and then delete them both:

• HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileNotification\TLD

• HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileNotification\TLD

After restarting your PC this error should not be logged again.