Finding memory leaks in legacy ASP.NET Webforms using service account and custom domain

Copper Contributor

Hi, I am a new dev working on an enterprise application trying to source memory leaks.

Using dotmemory and attaching to our local IIS configuration, I have sourced several leaks, comparing both our old and beta webforms applications. While the old application has many similar leaks/string optimization/empty array notifications, the one distinction is that our beta application occasionally experiences “high GC pressure” which I believe is the leading culprit in our performance issues which slow down if not crash our application by noon.

However, attaching to process does not give me access to the full profiling API which would help ease finding the specific code references where this issue is stemming from. We use runas service accounts to access the database and the webforms beta application is configured to use a custom domain, which has been giving me issues when trying to use IIS Express through VS2019 with runas service account permissions (and elevated privileges to enable debugging).

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue, and how did you get through it? Did you “eat your vegetables” by sifting through the low level code despite the business needs of your users, or is there a simple way to use a custom domain with runas service account permissions in VS2019?

1 Reply

Hi @JamFinForTheWin,

Thanks for posting your issue here.

However this platform is used for how-to discussions and sharing best practices for building any app with .NET.Since your issue is a technical question, welcome to post it in Microsoft Q&A forum, the support team and communities on Microsoft Q&A will help you for any technical questions.
Besides, it will be appreciated if you can share it here once you post this technical question Microsoft Q&A.
Best Regards,
Lan Huang