Being an event organizer

Microsoft

Being an event organizer can be rewarding and stressful!  Here are some pro tips I've learned from producing many events across my career and especially since March, 2020:

1. Exhale - No one knows what your show is supposed to be but you. The calmer you can stay while you are delivering your content the better for you, your technical team and your talent (presenters).

2. Rehearse - If you are producing an executive town hall or more formal event there is no replacement for bringing everyone together to review the "show flow" or what is going to happen when.  Knowledge and practice is power. 

3.  Digital is different - Having more engaging content and keeping your audience's eyes moving is an important part of ensuring you don't have drop off during the course of your event.  Shorter sessions, more breaks, switching content views are all tools you can use to keep things interesting. 

I hope you will all share your own tips for other event organizers here!  

2 Replies

Thanks for posting, @Karuana Gatimu; great tips for success.

Looking forward to learning more about the Virtual Events Playbook here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/the-microsoft-virtual-event-playbook-and...

@Karuana Gatimu  It like to add to your fantastic list:

Make it interactive if you can. There are many 3rd party apps you can use during a live event or even capitalise on the Q&A - Pause to read out a question and answer that directly.

In a large team meeting - add some polls, live documents, measure audience responsiveness by posting a statement and checking emoticon responsiveness.