Exceeding Webinar Registrations - Help!

Copper Contributor

I have a webinar scheduled, and attendance was going great!

When setting up, I selected registration required, which as I understand it now, limits us to 1,000 registrations. We have quickly hit the 1,000 mark and now I am stuck.

On some advice, they suggested turning off the registration required functionality as that will allow us to get to 10,000 (albeit in view only). However when people click the original link sent out, it now says that the event is cancelled (which it's not).

Questions are:

- How do I stop people seeing an 'event is cancelled message' for an event that just no longer requires registration?

- What messaging will people have recieved who registered for the event (I hope they didnt get a cancellation message).

- Will people who registered for the event still be able to access the room through the link sent in their registration confirmation?

Cheers,

Chris

2 Replies

Hi @chughesakl,

Unfortunately, when you remove registration from the invite, it will indeed send a cancellation message out to the attendee. If they still have the original confirmation message/calendar item, with the "join event" link, it will still work, though the cancellation will have an update to remove the meeting from the calendar. Also - if they click the "cancel registration" link (or the original registration link used to register for the webinar) - that will indeed bring them to a page noting the event is cancelled. This is by design.

The key here is - removing registration means cancelling the webinar. Understand this is not clearly noted, and I have passed feedback along to the feature PMs. This is something we plan to address in the upcoming refresh in H1CY22. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan,

Unfortunately, from a user experience the issues don't stop there. Here are the steps I experienced:
- Hit the 1,000 maximum, I was not notified, and was told by someone trying to register that it was full.
- In turning off the registration, there was no notification that I was cancelling the event, and I was unaware that cancellation emails were being sent to registered attendees. I should be able to see that I have hit some sort of limit, and be guided to what the next steps are.
- Upon being told by an attendee about their email, the only way I could see what they were sent, was to get them to forward it to me - there should be a way for me to see what is being sent by Teams)
- There seems to be no way to access/customise the page people go to, either when trying to access the registration page (generic message event has been cancelled - should be 'registrations no longer required'), or when they open the cancellation. Either of these should have a way for me as the organiser to intercept the messaging.
- For most attendees who received the cancellation email, opening it on their Microsoft exchange automatically removes the event from their calendar. This email should not be sent, potentially just redirecting the link from their invitation to the generic 'open access' link everyone can now access.
- With registrations now being cancelled, there was no way to find a list of people that Teams had sent the cancellation to, so that I could make contact and advise them that it was sent in error. This is perhaps the worst of all, as the only thing I can do is wait for people to e-mail me to ask what is happening (they can see from our communications that the event is still happening, have received the cancellation email, and I have not followed up with them).

Effectively, I am now stuck without a list of people who registered, for an event that is still going ahead but no-one can access, without me going back out to the original invite list which - given the event was forwarded around organisations, I expect will only get to around 10% of the people who were looking to attend.

Definitely one of my most frustrating Teams experiences, and I'm not sure I can solve any of the issues above? I would be happy if there was even a way to find out who Teams had been emailing on my behalf.

Cheers,
Chris