Printers not automatically provisioned after remove

Copper Contributor

Hello Community.

I have a problem with Universal Print and I suspect it has to do with the fact that I removed the printer once.

I have a policy, this applies to my Azure Virtual Desktops users. It also shows me that the policy deployment was successful.

I was impatient but manually added the Universal Print printer once in my session and did my tests. Now

I wanted to try the policy but no printer comes into my user profile automatically anymore.

Now I tried to speed this up with a printers.csv. So I created the printers.csv but after running the UPPrinterInstaller.exe (which is in newer Windows 11 version in system32) no printer appears in my session either.

I also can't find a log in the event viewer on the Azure Virtual Desktop.

What I really want is to make sure that each user automatically has the correct printers immediately upon login without having to search for them each time.

By the way, the manual installation via Add Printer works without problems. Only the automatic provisioning does not work at all.

I was wondering if the system automatically adds the printers only once.

I hope someone can help me because I am at my wit's end.

Update: I Installed the UniversalPrintProvisioning 0.1.0 manually and adding the printer via csv now works.

Is it normal that the Policy does not recreate the printer?

Thanks a lot

Dob

6 Replies

@dob126 - Deploying printers via Intune has been simplified and you DO NOT need UP provisioning tool or printers.csv anymore.

I suggest you try out https://aka.ms/GetToKnowUniversalPrint (Section 3) to learn more.

You can also go to Universal Print printer provisioning via Microsoft Endpoint Manager (MEM) | Microsoft Learn

Hi.

Yes, that’s what I did before but the endpoint manager policy is only nice for a first time deployment and as I wrote it does not recreate printers as soon as they have been removed. Or it needs a lot of time to recreate. However that was my question. If this is by design or not.

What I did now is to create a remediation script in endpoint manager which runs once an hour and checks if the printer is available. That’s the reason for my workaround with the 0.1.0 and the printer.csv. Just because the policy does not ensure enough stability.

I think the policy should recreate the printer very fast especially in an virtual desktop environment where it’s s known issue that the printer is gone for all users if one user deletes them.

Adding @LauraArrizza@Jimmy_Wu - our experts on Intune integration for Universal Print.

Can one of you help clarify the expected behavior?

I set up universal print and it works great. I used both the depricated universal print tool and the new CSP (settings catalog) to deploy a printer. They installed easy on the endpoints but how do you remove them (in the depricated app I set the uninstall up as directed I see the printers file get deleted and replaced with uninstallprinters.csv but the printer doesnt go away). Using the new CSP I tried removing excluding the device from the profile that assigns it, but doesnt go away) How do you get them to remove prom PRINTERS AND SCANNERS?

@Saurabh_Bansal I am also intrested in how can I return printers if they were deleted. We also use Universal print approach.

In my case, I`ve delete the printers manually and know can't return them back? 

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thank you and have agreat day!

I have faced many of the same issues and found many things that work sometimes. Typically what happens is remnances of the printer are left behind either in the registry or in the control panel. Recently I put a script in Intune which has to be run by the end user from company portal (as the printer installs in the user context and the univ printer checks the user permissions to the printer). So my script does 2 things
1. deletes the UPPRINTERINSTALLS registry key (this is where the published univ printer installs.
2. removes the printer

write-host "Removing Universal printregistry key"
Remove-Item HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\PrinterProvisioning\UPPrinterInstalls -Recurse
Function Printer-Cleanup() {

param (
[parameter(Mandatory=$true)]
$printers = $name
)

ForEach ($Printer in $Printers) {
$SecurePrint = get-printer | where {$_.name -eq $Printer}

if ($SecurePrint)
{
write-host "Removing $Printer"
get-printer | where {($_.name -eq $Printer) } | Remove-Printer
}