SOLVED

Unable to install Universal Print Connector

Copper Contributor

I meet the pre-requisites but when attempting to install the Universal Print Connector on a domain joined system I get the following error:

Service 'Universal Print connector updater' (PrintConnectorUpdaterSvc) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

ScreenConnect.WindowsClient_2021-01-15_10-53-42.png

I can't find any community knowledge regarding this issue.  Any help would be appreciated.

6 Replies

@Jon Copeland Are you running it as an administrator?
Also, if you check your local group policy editor (gpdit.msc) on the machine running the connector you need to navigate to Computer Policy->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Local Policies->User Rights Assignment and check the content of the 'Log on as a service' setting.  Depending on what is set in there the NT Authority\System may not be given permission.

Also check the 'Deny log on as a service' as this may have something applied that is blocking it.

That was a good suggestion but alas even with SYSTEM as a member of that local group policy it appears I can't install the connector. I'll open a ticket with MS support on this.
Sorry to hear it didn't work. I've had some frustrations with the connector here too. That'll teach us to be cutting edge :)

Best of luck getting it working.
best response confirmed by Jon Copeland (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jon Copeland - I dunno if you're still working through this issue. I was wracking my brain trying to get this going. I ended up trying to launch it while it was installing. This threw an error for .NET 4.7.2. So I canceled all that, installed .NET and things seem to be launching now. Before you try to run it though, uninstall the print connector if any components installed.

Well wow, that was the fix. How I missed that pre-requisite ... I don't know?
Installing .NET 4.7.2 allowed for the installation of the Universal Print Connector to go through 100%.

Thanks jm_IM !!!
Thank you! .Net 4.7.2 is not listed in the pre-requisites, that fixed my issue. I was just about to give up on using this.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jon Copeland (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jon Copeland - I dunno if you're still working through this issue. I was wracking my brain trying to get this going. I ended up trying to launch it while it was installing. This threw an error for .NET 4.7.2. So I canceled all that, installed .NET and things seem to be launching now. Before you try to run it though, uninstall the print connector if any components installed.

View solution in original post