Show if the post already reported as inappropriate

Show if the post already reported as inappropriate

Upvotes

Upvote

Jan 12 2022
9 Comments (9 New)
Under Review

Sometimes we run into posts which are against the CoC or the community rules and we report them. However, when we report such a post, and we visit it again, it sill gives us an option to report it. So we are able to report a post as abuse number of time. Sometimes we might report one post multiple times like when we are reporting a post one day and report it again later. Therefore, it would be nice to add a feature like when we report a post to the moderator, it should show a message like it already been reported , so we won't report it again. Or it could be an option to edit our original report message. When moderator reviewed it and consider it as safe, then let to report it as abuse again.

Comments
Gold Contributor

Please explain in more detail - because I have never reported the same post 2 times, so I do not understand this idea?

Silver Contributor

Good question @A1 , let me tell you the example.

I remember coming across a spam post and reported it. Then next day while I was checking the post I come across the same post and report it again ( I confused thinking same post is on the different forum) and I manage to report it. However, let say if it has been marked as reported (for me), I wouldn't report it again.

Gold Contributor

I do not see a problem - if you re-report inappropriate content 2 or 3 times a day (the moderator will see that it is urgent).

I would like the Moderator to thank you for a justified submission - it would really be encouraging, e.g. in a private message.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Interesting, I am not sure the platform supports this but I will take it away and find out!

Thanks for the feedback.

Silver Contributor

Thank you @Allen 

Gold Contributor

Hi, @Allen 

It seems that there are more and more posts that should be removed immediately ( this is obvious spam ), the platform does not cope with this , can you explain it?

Community Manager

@A1 Yes I can,

You are correct to say we have seen an uptick in spam getting through our spam detection system and it is learning but that's why we have also been slowly changing settings to make sure we don't upset existing users. I also, however, won't go into to much details of exactly what has been changed from what to what as spammers would use that information get round the extra things we have put in place.

What have we done to manage the current spam attack?

• We are monitoring all new registering users and reviewing their activity after sign up
  • New users can no longer post images to the community
  • We have changed the flood controls to make it harder for users to post lots of messages in quick succession (we are planning to tighten these further once we are sure the new ones aren't upsetting anyone).
  • All spam missed by the spam detection system is being fed into its learning engine and it's getting better (justification for this statement is that we have seen a jump in the last 72 hours of 70% of the new style spam being automatically blocked by the spam engine)

We did try using content filters but the spammers detect this very quickly and change the word or string of words we use to block them. Similarly they were using only one email domain for the spam until we started blocking it.

Is it perfect, no its not and everytime there is this sort of uptick in spam we have to deal with these issues. We do however have clear robust processes and levels of response we work to and it works pretty well.

The trick is always to respond not over respond, for example when we detect an uptick we could block creating all new posts on the community, that would be an over response.. it is an option but not one we would ever take lightly.

I know that we are also looking at setting up a program where we might ask key community members to help us mark content as spam and move posts around, although I have no specific details to share about this at this time.

Gold Contributor

@Allen 

Thank you for your prompt reply!

I've been here for a while now and I've only started 35 discussions, I have over 2700 responses, so

I think that you can introduce a restriction for new MTC Members to start only 1 discussion on a given day, certainly this will definitely limit the possibilities for posting spam.

Andrzej1_0-1663353801722.png

Community Manager

@A1 

Thank you for your input, I think that's a little to strict but we will keep the measures we have in place to support community members and remove spam under review.