New Community/ Space Notification Method

New Community/ Space Notification Method

Upvotes

Upvote

Nov 02 2016
15 Comments (15 New)
Closed

Please provide some type of mechanism to notify MS Tech Community membes when there are new Communities and Spaces added to the overall network.

Comments
Former Employee
Status changed to: Planned

Former Employee

Hi @Dean Gross, would an post in the community announcments suffice- or is there something else you have mind?

Silver Contributor

That would be a good start, but it would also be helpful if there were some type of inidicators on the Communities page to indicate that one of the Community Cards is new and/or that new spaces have been added into an existing Community.

We should not have to work  to find new things, they should be self evident. In general it is still much harder to identify new items in this platform than in the yammer networks.

Community Manager
Status changed to: Under review

Updating idea status to match our new statuses

Community Manager

@Dean Gross

Thanks again would you mind providing some more detail about what exactly it is your looking for here?

We publish information about new communities in the weekly roundup, quite often we may write a new blog for it and share it social media so I just want to make sure I have understood the ask

Community Manager
Status changed to: Needs more info

Silver Contributor

I am thinking that if the number of spaces in a community changes, it would be helpful if the cards on https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Communities/ct-p/communities provided some type of indication that that this occurred, e.g. a new space added to community label or asterisk would emphasize that we should visit the community to see what is new. 

This concept is being done on the home page of Office 365 and SharePoint online and I find it very beneficial.

Community Manager

Interesting so even something like a "New" banner at the top right?

Not currently sure how we might do that but if that's the idea ill take a look.

Community Manager

Like this?

Space - New.png

Obviously this is just a quick mock up

Community Manager
Status changed to: Under review

Silver Contributor

yes, i'm not sure what the exact UI should be, and it is no longer a huge issue, because the number of spaces in each community seems to have stabilized. Back when this network was getting started, new communities and spaces were getting added every week and there was no way to be notified, it was a huge easter egg hunt.

Silver Contributor

I think that it would be better if it emphasized a new Space. In this mockup its not clear to me what is 'new", is it the community, a member, a space or something else?

Community Manager

Ok got it.. thanks

If your reading this and would like something similar please up vote this idea. 

Community Manager
Status changed to: New Idea

Community Manager
Status changed to: Closed

I am going to close this because its quite a difficult ask to deliver on and Dean stated its improved anyway. Open to re-considering if the community feels strongly about it.