SOLVED

My post was incorrectly marked as spam by someone

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Steel Contributor

My post was marked as spam by someone within seconds of posting. This is quite strange. 

This is the post: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/Upload-folder-allowed-even-when-make-new-folder-co...

How does this community work? Can someone just mark a post as spam without any review mechanism? Why are there no reporting options available? 

spam.png

There is this red banner on the top of page, which says "If you believe this is an error, submit an abuse report". Really? When I click that, I am presented with this:

spam2.png

No. I don't want to report "inappropriate content". I want to report exactly the opposite of that. And the text "Tell us why you believe the content is inappropriate", isn't helpful either. No. I want to tell you exactly the opposite! And what's with two cancel buttons? Does Microsoft want to dissuade people form complaining?

Does anyone even read the appropriateness of the reason given for marking as spam?

Where is the Redressal Mechanism?

While we are at it, the home page no longer shows me the newest posts! It is stuck at whatever was the situation before my post was marked as spam. 

8 Replies
Thanks. Our system has an automatic spam filter. Every weekday, our team manually goes through the spam quarantine and moves messages out of it that don't belong. I've unmarked your post as spam.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Community-Discussion/Integration-between-Teams-Schedule-and-O... - the same is with my post, please assist. I came here to ask for advice, but got marked as spam :) that's sad

Thanks. Our system has an automatic spam filter. Every weekday, our team manually goes through the spam quarantine and moves messages out of it that don't belong. I've unmarked your post as spam.

Eric, I see here two ways for the improvement - spam filter itself and the error report to moderators. Perhaps second one is more important.

best response confirmed by Abhimanyu Singh (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Hi all,

Thanks for highlighting the issues you found in this thread and please accept my apologies if the spam filter was a little over zealous. Automatic spam filters, as you will be aware, are prone to occasionally picking up something that isn't spam as spam. 

I take and understand that the language on the report abuse form could be better and I will take that forward for review in the next sprint we undertake. Similarly I noticed that indeed there is two cancel buttons which seems to have emerged since our last release so I have marked that as a bug and we will get it fixed as soon as possible.

Your home screen not updating sounds like a caching error to me, when I load your view of the community it loads correctly. The cache should have expired by now but if you still see the problem please click in the address bar and click Ctrl + Enter. This will force your cache to clear.

If you continue to have problems please do let me know. 

Thank you @Allen. Much appreciated. Apologies for harsh words, it was the first time I encountered this and I thought someone hit the "report inappropriate content" on purpose.

I think in my case, it could be possible that the entire dynamic IP address range blocking (based on repudiation) could have been the culprit on the spam filter. This is something I can't help with my ISP. So, maybe the spam filter needs to be trained to look at other parameters (like user attributes) beyond only the IP. Dunno if that is the case.

Thanks @Eric Starker

I'm in the same boat with my first post, could you help me... I don't even have the link. But it was titled: 

How to number each occurrence of a substring in a cell in Power Query?

@DGuzmanG 

Hello! Thanks for letting us know about the incorrectly marked spam post. Our system has an automatic spam filter. Every weekday, our team manually goes through the spam quarantine and moves messages out of it that don't belong. I've unmarked your post as spam.

I am going to close down new responses to this thread. If anyone has an issue with a spam post that was marked incorrectly, please follow directions to report that post or email us at techcommunity@microsoft.com. But understand that we do check them daily and usually it's just a matter of waiting a business day for the spam post to be fixed.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Abhimanyu Singh (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Hi all,

Thanks for highlighting the issues you found in this thread and please accept my apologies if the spam filter was a little over zealous. Automatic spam filters, as you will be aware, are prone to occasionally picking up something that isn't spam as spam. 

I take and understand that the language on the report abuse form could be better and I will take that forward for review in the next sprint we undertake. Similarly I noticed that indeed there is two cancel buttons which seems to have emerged since our last release so I have marked that as a bug and we will get it fixed as soon as possible.

Your home screen not updating sounds like a caching error to me, when I load your view of the community it loads correctly. The cache should have expired by now but if you still see the problem please click in the address bar and click Ctrl + Enter. This will force your cache to clear.

If you continue to have problems please do let me know. 

View solution in original post