SOLVED

ISSUE - cannot change my account's email address

Iron Contributor

Dear techcommunity staff,

our company has been merged. I am looking for a way to change my email address.

The account has been created by a work account. 

Fields to change email are greyed out.

I would not like to create a new account as I would loose ownership / track of all conversations, history and notifications for topics and my contributions.

What can I do?

kwesterebbinghausbusiness_0-1656573819682.png

7 Replies

Hi @kwester-ebbinghaus-business 

I found this tip:

"If your account is using a work email account, you'll need to speak to someone in your organization who is an admin and have them update the name in the O365 User Admin panel. Then log back into the community using this link."

How to change my community identity? (username & full name) - Microsoft Tech Community

Can I merge or transfer the account I use to login to the Microsoft Tech Community - Microsoft Tech ...

best response confirmed by kwester-ebbinghaus-business (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@kwester-ebbinghaus-business Hello! Unfortunately it's not possible to change your email address on your login from a work email account to any other kind of account. 

We can transfer your contributor level to a new account, but we aren't able to merge or transfer over any of your posts or message history. Sorry about that.

If you'd like to create a new account and have us transfer your contributor level over, please email us at techcommunity@microsoft.com once the new account is created.

Here's the documentation around this: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/community-faqs/can-i-merge-or-transfer-the-account-i-use-to-l... 

@Eric Starker @A1 thanks for your help and reference.

Eric, is it possible to remove an account and 'keep' the username for use with a new account?
Basically, after removing an account does its username become available again?

@AndyChips  

What does a username mean?

You mean @..................?

Yes, if you remove an account, the username will become available again, however, there will be a delay of up to 72 hours before it will become available.

If you want to re-register sooner than that with the same username, than change your username to something else before you remove the account.
Yes, that's what we consider username, such as A1 or AndyChips.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by kwester-ebbinghaus-business (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@kwester-ebbinghaus-business Hello! Unfortunately it's not possible to change your email address on your login from a work email account to any other kind of account. 

We can transfer your contributor level to a new account, but we aren't able to merge or transfer over any of your posts or message history. Sorry about that.

If you'd like to create a new account and have us transfer your contributor level over, please email us at techcommunity@microsoft.com once the new account is created.

Here's the documentation around this: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/community-faqs/can-i-merge-or-transfer-the-account-i-use-to-l... 

View solution in original post