Is this the update?

Silver Contributor

Is this the update Allen was talking about?

Kam_0-1607976894605.png

And was the blog post about the new update delayed because of the holidays?

13 Replies
Must be a bug or regression, this just adds one more full-page reload to the previous experience. the idea was to lower the need for full-page reloads.
@HotCakeX But what about the Blog Post?

@Kam 

Idk, it'll come when it's ready,

but I'm now more than sure that this is a bug, when this change happened, this also started happening 

dsadsa.jpg

it goes under the other element.

@HotCakeX  / @Kam 

Hi both,

Thank you for your posts.

The message options menu being cut off is a bug, which we just fixed.

The nav changes have been implemented to provide a consistency of experience between mobile and desktop.  This simplification of the code base helps increase the performance of the site still further for logged in users.

I am not sure I understand what is causing a 'full page reload' could you share some more details.?

@Allen I think HotCakeX means that if we click on the "notifications" tab, it requires us to go to another page. Before this bug, we could click on the notifications icon and the last 5 notifications would show up.

@Kam 

Right that's not a bug, see my reply to oleg, here: New mobile notifications are worse - Microsoft Tech Community.

We may revert the notification bell, although we are trying to simply our code base so we can ensure pages quickly load no matter which device you use.

If there is strong opinion from desktop users that they want the bell back I am totally open to it :) Just Like Olegs post and I will use that as a barometer to measure opinion. 

Allen

@Allen You mean an opiniometer, or maybe an opometer LOL

@Allen 

Spoiler

@Allen wrote:

@HotCakeX  / @Kam 

Hi both,

Thank you for your posts.

The message options menu being cut off is a bug, which we just fixed.

The nav changes have been implemented to provide a consistency of experience between mobile and desktop.  This simplification of the code base helps increase the performance of the site still further for logged in users.

I am not sure I understand what is causing a 'full page reload' could you share some more details.?

The bell icon prevented from full page reload, allowed us to see notifications (the last 5 at least) without the need to reload the page.

maybe it was only obvious to me but I really think the forum needs more Ajax and load parts of the web page independently from other parts.

like notifications on YouTube, notifications on Stackexchange websites and many other places. no matter how fast the page loads, it still is a full page reload, meaning I have to leave the page i was on, go to an entirely different page just to see the notifications. I think this design is like 10 years old.

I'm simply comparing my experience here versus my experience on other communities and these changes are inconvenient for me.

the ideal thing would be to view the entire notification list without leaving the page the user is on. 

a bell icon that we click on, at first we see the last 5 notifications and then there will be a scroll bar to view the rest of the notifications. that would be a great design.

I understand you want to simplify the code but simplifying the backend means making things hard on the front.

@Allen 

Spoiler

@Allen wrote:

@Kam 

Right that's not a bug, see my reply to oleg, here: New mobile notifications are worse - Microsoft Tech Community.

We may revert the notification bell, although we are trying to simply our code base so we can ensure pages quickly load no matter which device you use.

If there is strong opinion from desktop users that they want the bell back I am totally open to it :) Just Like Olegs post and I will use that as a barometer to measure opinion. 

Allen

I can't speak on behalf of others and don't want to change anyone's opinion about anything,

but the way I see it, this is a fundamental thing.

it's like a family sitting on a table talking to each other about removing Internet or TV or from their list of needs and be like, okay we can still live without them.

sure that's not a life and death situation but Still, it's an inconvenience and is like living in the past 2 or 3 decades.

about having to see notifications, not even the last 5 but the entire thing, using Ajax and not having to reload the page, there is another popular example

invision community

lots of forums and communities I've joined use that and it does exactly what I described. they've got it right and it's a convenient user experience, on mobile and desktop.

here are the pricing for self-hosted plan

they also offer a free demo but I can't link it here since it requires a name and email verification first.

xD look at this:

Kam_0-1608054737936.png

@HotCakeX 

Ok so I am going to ask our devs to bring back the notification bell early in 2021. The rest of your feedback I completely understand and want to develop further on as soon as our underlying platform allows us to.

I am afraid, for now, we are stuck with the full-page loads. I do appreciate your feedback on this thread and rest assured we will be looking to make advancements of this kind in 2021.

Thanks appreciate it!

I don't see  any need for this:

Kam_0-1608157213943.png

@Allen