Impossible to sign in with different user account

Steel Contributor

I use this browser with two MS accounts. The techcommunity does not let me choose the user account to sign in with! I'm forced to open a private window to sign in and write this feedback.

So when clicking Sign In, it thinks I want to sign in with my M365 company account, and asks me to accept certain permissions. However, I want to sign in with my personal MS account. So I click cancel and get redirected to the home page.

So, in order to visit the site with my personal MS account, must either use a private windows, or clear every single cookie for every single Microsoft domain, which is also NOT what I want to do.

This is simply unacceptable and driving me away from using the techcommunity at all!

I made a video for you to show you how broken the sign in flow is: https://i.imgur.com/KnxnPKM.mp4

10 Replies

Hello
In Edge, please add a profile for your personal account - for me it works.
Then the browser logs in automatically when synchronization is enabled for the logged in user.
Best regards
I’m assuming by this that you are using Microsoft Edge. Edge automatically authenticates for the account signed into it.

If you click your profile picture on the top right of Edge, there is an option called “Browse as guest,” that will stop it logging you in.

Unfortunately, since this is related to Edge, rather than our own site, there’s nothing additional we can do about this, but I hope this fixes it for you!

@Eric Starker Yes, I use Edge.

No, I am not signed in with any account.

image.png

And the account that Technetcommunity tries to sign me in with, is also not my Windows account.

@Eric Starker wrote:
Unfortunately, since this is related to Edge, rather than our own site, there’s nothing additional we can do about this, but I hope this fixes it for you!

I think you are a bit quick to jump to the conclusion that it is unrelated to the techcommunity. Because even IF edge is trying to do a SSO, the techcommunity can still interrupt that process to offer me a way to sign in with a different account. At the very last at the point where I click CANCEL because I don't want to grant those permissions.

@A1 wrote:

Hello
In Edge, please add a profile for your personal account - for me it works.
Then the browser logs in automatically when synchronization is enabled for the logged in user.
Best regards

Thanks for the suggestion, but I do not want to sign in to an Edge profile.

Does this mean that to write this post you have to enter your Microsoft account password every time?
I don't understand your problem.

@Daniel Niccoli What I've shared with you is my understanding based on what our tech lead has shared with me and the only solution I'm aware of. Happy to have our tech lead @Allen respond to this in more depth when he is back from vacation in two weeks. 

@Eric StarkerThat would be great. If it's indeed my browser, I concede. But if it's the sign in flow itself, lets try to make that smoother together.

@Daniel Niccoli 

I am afraid the information Eric has provided is correct here. We literally have no control over the authentication process. 

Allen_0-1635173638375.png

As you can see from the above graph, the Microsoft Login service is self contained and handles Credential collection, validation and error handling and is the same for the entire of Microsoft, you would have the same issue if you went to account.microsoft.com in that it would login with the same profile you have active in edge. I have spoken with the Edge Team about this before and their only suggestion is to use the "Browse as guest" function in Microsoft Edge if you want to login to Microsoft site with any other profile than the one your signed into the browser with. 

We are going to change our connection with the Login service next year but, at this stage, I don't think that's going to have an effect on this behavior, I will of course update if during the course of scoping this change out I find out differently.

Allen 

I am on Chrome and have had to login with this work account because I can't find a way to login with my other personal Microsoft account.