SOLVED

Error when trying to access private messages

Bronze Contributor

Is anyone else getting an error message like the one below when they try to access their private messages from https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage? The badge on the envelope icon shows I have two unread messages but when I click on it, the drop-down panel says "No unread messages". If I click on "See All Messages" I get the error below:

An Unexpected Error has occurred.
  • Your request failed. Please contact your system administrator and provide the date and time you received the error and this Exception ID: 306F1938.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

I sent an email to techcommunity@microsoft.com yesterday about this but haven't had a response yet.

19 Replies

@Ryan Steele 

Thanks we have seen this as well, to help us confirm which of two issues we are currently tracking this error relates to, could you confirm if you have an IPv6 Connection?

If you are not sure then go to a website like test-ipv6.com and it will run some simple connectivity tests one of them will tell you if you have a valid IPv6 Address. DO NOT POST IT HERE!

@Allen Thanks for responding. I can confirm that I do not have an IPv6 address.

Hi @Allen, any update on this? Anything further you need from me? Thanks!

I have 45 Email messages inside MSTech Community and when I click on that for reading then I get a site error :

MSTech error site.PNG

Does anybody else have this problem on the site?

The site was already slow, but this week it's really slow.

@James van den Berg
I also get this issue sometimes, it is resolved when time goes ahead.
Than you you for your response
It's to long for me, I like to know who de Administrator is for the error to handle.

@James van den Berg Hello! You can always reach our team at techcommunity@microsoft.com

Hi @Eric Starker Thank you for the email address, they are working on it :thumbs_up:

I see from a reply to this post that "they are working on it". It would have been nice to have a reply to my email to techcommunity@microsoft.com or from @Allen but hey, I guess you can't have everything.

@Ryan Steele 

Per my email, sorry I missed your original email to our Inbox.

I will share an update as soon as one is available.

Allen

Ryan, We now know what is causing it. Unfortunately its being caused by a bug fix our developers did to an unrelated, or so we thought, component. They are working on a fix but it may not be ready till next week. I will of course update you when the timeline is clearer or the fix deployed, which ever happens sooner.
best response confirmed by Ryan Steele (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

@Allen The issue appears to have been resolved. Thanks for your assistance!

@Ryan Steele 

Thanks for the confirmation, I got notified over night last night it had now been fixed. Sorry about the delay!

Yup - This is exactly what I get...

If I can't access the messages, I'd rather just not see the notification that I have 6 of them...

FOUND IT!

Click your user avatar in the upper right, then Choose "My Settings"

Preferences Tab > Private Messenger

Then "Turn On Private Messages"

Assuming you are asking the next logical questions/comments:

"Yes, this is ridiculously stupid"

"If Private messages are turned off, people should absolutely NOT be able to send you private messages." 

"If the tool is designed so badly that people CAN send you private messages even though they are turned off, you 100% should not have to look at a badge telling you how many you have, then directing you to an inaccurate and inane error message." 

(I think I covered the bases for the most important questions. and comments.)

@53Clubs 

Thank you for posting, I am a little troubled by the 'solution' you found to the issues you were having with Private Messaging. Our community has Private Messaging enabled by default and so the only reason those steps you have listed would be relevant is if you had manually turned off private messaging previously. 

Your message indicates you did not do that, if that's the case can you confirm when you first noticed the issue and I will review the server logs for your profile to see what went wrong and when.

The issue you have highlighted is different to the rest of this thread as these issues were fixed months ago.

@Allen 

My replies (the one you reference and the one immediately before it) were replies specifically to this message Fron James van den Berg’s reply to Ryan Steele on 6/10/2020:

53Clubs_0-1609369618270.png

As for “when it started” – I really have no idea, nor much care now that I’ve solved it. 

As for turning Private messages off, though you’ve stated my “message indicates you [I] did not do that”, I certainly don’t recall saying such a thing, nor do I see it in my message – but maybe I said it… not sure.  This said, I certainly don’t remember turning private messaging off, but its not out of the realm of things I might do.  Whether I did or not doesn’t make any of the remainder of the message less true.

Specifically, even if I had turned private messaging off manually:

It is  STILL ridiculously stupid

People should STILL absolutely NOT be able to send you private messages.

You STILL 100% should not have to look at a badge telling you how many you have.

And finally, the link STILL directs you to an inaccurate and inane error message.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ryan Steele (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

@Allen The issue appears to have been resolved. Thanks for your assistance!

View solution in original post