Displaying unread messages

Silver Contributor

How do we just view the unread messages? Every channel seems to show all of the messages, and i don't need to see the ones I have already read.

49 Replies
To see unread messages is only half of the problem, another half is to mark them as read. Quite time consuming operation.

I'd also like to suggest to change the "Unread Posts" to "Unread Conversations", as most are probably not interested in how many single posts to multiple conversations are unread in any given Space/Community, but how many new unread  conversations there are. 

Unread posts are already shown in my notifications when I reply or subscribe to a conversations that I participate in.

Agree. If the Conversation is interesting you always could subscribe on it not to miss new posts.

on a related matter, can anybody tell me:

How do I get to the first unread post within a thread from my notifications?

Right now when I click on a notification I'm sent to the last post of that thread, then I have to manually scroll back up, while looking at the posted date of each post, and have to try to remember, which the last post was, that I've already read. Ideally I've responded myself to this thread, and then start from there.

Quite cumbersome.

Thanks, but I don't seen how to view Unread messages on that page. It shows me Unanswered messages, but i have read several this morning and they still show up on that page.

It is BEYOND FRUSTRATING to continuously see the same conversations and posts over and over and over and over every session.

I fully recognize that there have been many improvements, but much of the functionality that has been improved, should have been in place on the first day. This software from Lithium is very poor in my opinion. I cannot ever imagine recommending it to any of my clients.

Between this lack of functionality and the absolutely atrocios UI, I'm going to have to stop participating in this network for a while. It is just too hard to use when compared to Yammer. It not enjoyable in any way shape or form.

I would also like to see a mode where you only see the first message in each conversation, rather than showing (some) replies of each conversation as well.

@Michael Holste, just wondering if there has been any progress on this feature?

Kind Regards,

Greg

@Michael HolsteI'm still waiting.

My involvement with this community continues to decrease, primarily because it takes too much time to find new content (:.

Yep, still no real improvement after almost a full year. I continue to be active out of necessity (direct product manager contact), not because I'm happy with this network.
All this pagination and page loading here makes me cringe every time.
Even a much longer (20-30 items, instead of 10) "My Feed" would be appreciated at this point.
I'm constantly missing out on AMAs if they are not announced somewhere else a week in advance. And let's not talk about mobile.

Hey Dean, 

We'll have some solutions out soon to improve this. I entirely agree it's too hard to 'stumble upon' need content. Among others, we're improving the feed, adding filters at the feed, community, and space levels, adding 'show more' to load more conversations, and making clearer pathways to new content. It's currently under development and should be out in one of the next 'sprints'. 

Hey Ivan, 

I just replied with something similar to Dean on this thread but this is something that drives a lot of crazy and will be fixed soon. 'Endless scroll' on the homepage can lead to performance issues but we will have a 'See More' button added and a number of improvements elsewhere. We are also updating the individual spaces to have more conversations show before a click is needed. For many right now, the setting is at 10. What number would you like to see? 

i would like to see the first 100.

And desirably in compact view as an option

It has been another 4 months, and I still cannot easily find unread items, will this ever be improved?

@Deleted

Guess not. My tech community usage has so much dropped (because of bad usability) that I've pretty much stopped looking for any thread in any sub community to participate on a regular basis, like I've done on Yammer.
Now I comfort myself to reading the blogs and announcements and every 2 months or so take a closer look and my favorite communities to maybe catch up on a few things - if I have the time - and the willpower to deal with the navigation (or the lack thereof) and all the other annoyances.
Guess not, I found this post by trying to figure out the same thing. How hard is it to keep a last visited timestamp in a users profile or cookie and then have a session variable that is used on the portal? I hate having to scroll through all the Communities and Conversations to see what I am interested in. AND DO NOT tell me to Subscribe with e-mails. That just clogs up my already busy inbox. At least the Subscribe without notifications provides quick navigation to things I have already seen.

Hi all,

We have just pushed out a beta version of an 'unread' filter to the homepage of the community. Go test it out and let me know what you think about it.

The reason it's in beta is the platform doesn't support 'unread' out of the box and so we have tried to build something that works for most members.

When you click 'Unread' after just loading the page you will see all 'unread' in the 'Newest' collection if you want to see the 'unread' of the 'Expert' or 'Unanswered' collection then you will need to first click the collection you want to see 'unread' for and then click 'unread'.

So to see unread of 'unanswered' posts you would need to:

1. Go to the homepage
  2. Select Unanswered
  3. Select Unread

Let me know what you think and if this helps then we will roll it out to the filters at the product level and each of the conversation spaces. 

Looks Good so far. Let us play with it for a while but the filters do seem to be doing something.
Appreciate the follow-up.

Hi Allen,

The main limitation is what Show More Conversations is greyed out. Usually unread messages to find are not on first pages. One scenario - they appears if you have not enough time to read everything in one sessions, and you have set of such short sessions. After that one day you'd like to check all what was missed.

With current implementation you need to select Newest first, click couple dozen of times on Show More Conversations, and only after that you may apply Unread filter to show if not all then majority of them.

@Sergei Baklan,

As always thank you for the feedback, so in your opinion is this limitation a deal breaker?

And would you rather have to do this and be able to see unread messages in this fashion or would it be better if we went back to the way it was?