teams bot's first proactive message not show up in "Activity" tab until user opens the chat

Copper Contributor

Hello!

We are building a teams chatbot ("isNotificationOnly" = true, and only in personal scope). And this bot comes with default "Activity" and "About" tabs.

When user installs the bot (on_member_added_activity), a proactive welcome message will be sent out. However, this message only shows up to the user's chat, but not in the bot's "Activity" tab.

Does anyone ever see similar problem? Is this a MS Teams issue? Or is there a way to "refresh" the Activity tab in this case?

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 1.37.30 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-08-14 at 1.39.55 PM.png

2 Replies

To add another weird behavior to above scenario --

If I first install the bot, open the 1st welcome message via chat, and then uninstall the bot *without* deleting the chat history, and then, I install the bot again. In this 2nd installation, the welcome message shows up as expected in both chat and "Activity" tab immediately.

After a few more tries, it looks like the proactive message only shows up in "Activity" tab immediately when there is already a chat history. i.e., --
- first installation, no chat history, message won't show up in Activity tab
- install and then delete chat history, uninstall, then reinstall, message won't show up in Activity tab
- install and do not delete chat history, uninstall, then reinstall, message will show up in Activity tab automatically as expected.

Above is using MS Teams Desktop app on mac.

@j_han330 - Thanks for reporting your issue. 

This is by design behavior. The "Activity" tab in a bot's personal chat shows the notifications that are sent to the user's activity feed. These are different from the messages that are sent directly to the user's chat with the bot.

When you send a proactive welcome message, it is sent directly to the user's chat with the bot and not to the user's activity feed. Therefore, it will not show up in the "Activity" tab.

Thanks,
Nivedipa
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the response is helpful, please click Mark as Best Response and like it. You can share your feedback via Microsoft Teams Developer Feedback link. Click here to escalate.