SOLVED

Teams BOT install parameters.. How do I setup install parameters(APIKey, URL)

Copper Contributor

I am working on a Teams Chat BOT with a developer.  This BOT is for multiple clients. .   When I install the BOT I want the BOT to ask the client for a URL and an API Key so it can get its data securely.  

I really don't want the admin user to have to go into Azure and setup stuff (if possible).  I  want it to be like when installing a team app. It can display a parameter page and ask all sorts of questions.  (The WebSite app for example asks for a URL)

My developer says there is no way to do this.  Is there local config storage with a BOT?

Can the first use of the bot ask the questions(API Key, URL)  and store the answers?

Can a BOT get config data from sharepoint?

Other ideas??  Pointers to an example?  I looked everywhere and can't find docs or an approach to this problem.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by MikeHF (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @MikeHF,

as far as I know, there is currently no way to display a parameter page during the Teams bot installation process.

However, there are a few workarounds that you can use:

1. Ask the client for the URL and API key before they install the bot.

You can provide the client with a link to a web page where they can enter the required information. Once they have entered the information, they can click a button to generate a unique installation link. You can then send this link to the client so that they can install the bot in Teams.

2. Ask the client for the URL and API key after they have installed the bot.

You can use a bot configuration experience to ask the client for the URL and API key after they have installed the bot. This will allow the client to configure the bot without having to go into Azure.

3. Use a local config store.

You can use a local config store to store the URL and API key on the client's machine. This will allow the bot to access the URL and API key without having to go to SharePoint.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

I like #2, but It looks like the bot configuration experience has some issues, so I will wait for Microsoft to get it debugged and working better.
https://github.com/OfficeDev/TeamsFx/issues/10137
https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/msteams-docs/issues/9726
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MikeHF (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @MikeHF,

as far as I know, there is currently no way to display a parameter page during the Teams bot installation process.

However, there are a few workarounds that you can use:

1. Ask the client for the URL and API key before they install the bot.

You can provide the client with a link to a web page where they can enter the required information. Once they have entered the information, they can click a button to generate a unique installation link. You can then send this link to the client so that they can install the bot in Teams.

2. Ask the client for the URL and API key after they have installed the bot.

You can use a bot configuration experience to ask the client for the URL and API key after they have installed the bot. This will allow the client to configure the bot without having to go into Azure.

3. Use a local config store.

You can use a local config store to store the URL and API key on the client's machine. This will allow the bot to access the URL and API key without having to go to SharePoint.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

View solution in original post