Start a Teams chat or call from web application

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Is it possible to initiate a Team chat or call from a custom web application/site (e.g. Salesforce)? Essentially a click to call or click to chat functionality.

The use case is something like:

1. Viewing a user's profile from the custom web application (the user also exists in Team with same email, username, etc...)
  2. Clicking on a link or button to initiate an audio or video call (or chat) with that user, and this will launch the Teams app (assuming it is installed) and make the call

I searched around and some says it is not currently possible, but starting a meeting is possible. I do not see any documentation that talks about this specifically.

Thanks for your help

1 Reply

@patrickli This should be possible. Because when you click on a user in M365 - you can also click on "start a chat" - after that your browser for example edge or chrome is asking you with which application you want to open this link, for example in my environment I have also Cisco Jabber installed and the link was asking me for: Jabber or Teams. So it should be possible! There is in my opinion no reason why it should not work in other application if you find some who can code this.