Remove "Add to a meeting" from Bot app install scope?

Copper Contributor

I would like to prevent users from being able to install our Bot application into a "meeting". See the attached image. I have added "team" as the "defaultInstallScope" and my bot's scopes are defined as:

"scopes": ["personal", "team", "groupChat"]

Is there a way to remove "Add to a meeting" as an option here?

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 12.11.43 PM.png

8 Replies

@smosche635 - 

In your case, you have set the defaultInstallScope to "team" and your bot's scopes are defined as ["personal", "team", "groupChat"]. To remove the "Add to a meeting" option, you can set the defaultGroupCapability for the "meetings" scope to a capability other than "bot".

"defaultGroupCapability": {
  "team": "bot",
  "groupchat": "bot",
  "meetings": "tab"
}

In the above example, the default capability for the "meetings" scope is set to "tab". This means that when users try to install your app in a meeting, they will only see the option to add a tab, and the "Add to a meeting" option will be removed.

Ref: Manifest schema reference - Teams | Microsoft Learn

Thanks, 

Prasad Das

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

If the response is helpful, please click "**Mark as Best Response**" and like it. You can share your feedback via Microsoft Teams Developer Feedback link. Click here to escalate. 

@Prasad_Das-MSFT Thank you for the reply. I did try your suggestion but I am still seeing "Add to a meeting" in the dialog box when I "Upload a custom app"  to Microsoft Teams for testing.

I have also tried to use "connector" in place of "tab" for the meetings value in `defaultGroupCapability` but I see the same options in the "add" menu.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 10.30.39 AM.png

Here is the relevant portion of my manifest:

"bots": [
  {
    "botId": "MY_BOT_ID",
    "scopes": [
      "personal",
      "team",
      "groupChat"
    ],
  }
],
"defaultGroupCapability": {
  "team": "bot",
  "groupchat": "bot",
  "meetings": "tab"
},
"defaultInstallScope": "team"

I do see that if, for example, I remove "personal" from the scopes array, then "Add for me" no longer appears in the install list. So my manifest changes are able to affect the list. I do still want the "personal" scope, but I would prefer to not have "Add to a meeting" as one of the allowed install options.

Thanks for your help.

@smosche635 - Could you please provide the app manifest zip which you used, so that we can investigate from our end?

@Prasad_Das-MSFT 

Hi Prasad, the latest manifest we're using is attached here. Thanks for looking into this for me. 

(replying from my other 365 account)

@scottmoschella - By removing the "meetings" capability from the defaultGroupCapability object in the manifest also we are able to get the option to add the app to any meeting.

Prasad_DasMSFT_0-1704883662544.png

We have raised a bug for the same. We will inform you once we get any further update from engineering team. 

Thanks, 

Prasad Das

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

If the response is helpful, please click "**Mark as Best Response**" and like it. You can share your feedback via Microsoft Teams Developer Feedback link. Click here to escalate. 

@Prasad_Das-MSFT - Hi Prasad, has there been any update from your engineering team? I am currently trying to solve the same issue where I want to remove the option "Add to a meeting" from the installation options of my app. Thank you.

Best regards,

Kristián Kovalský 

Hi @KristianKov - Apologies. At the moment, we have not received any updates from the engineering team. However, we are actively communicating with them to stay updated on the progress. We have also made them aware of the seriousness of the issue. As soon as we receive any updates from them, we will notify you in this thread. Thank you!

@KristianKov , @smosche635 , @scottmoschella 

We got update from engineering team that, "For bots, meetings are treated as group chats. There is no way for the developer to opt out of meeting without opting out of group chats as well."

Thanks, 

Prasad Das