SOLVED

"Couldn't apply the scene. Try again later." error when trying to test a custom Together Mode scene

Bronze Contributor

I'm using the Scene studio to develop a custom Together Mode scene. When I click the "View in Teams" button and follow the steps to add the custom scene to my Teams client, I am able to successfully add the app. However, when I try to apply the scene during a meeting, I just get a purple banner appearing at the top of the screen saying "Couldn't apply the scene. Try again later." with a Dismiss button.

Thinking that there was something wrong with the scene I had created, I tried publishing the "Default Scene" and got the same error.

Has anyone successfully created one of these? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

15 Replies
@Ryan Steele - Could you please share the repro steps and the docs that you are following?

@ChetanSharma-msft I'm following the document here: Custom Together Mode Scenes - Teams | Microsoft Docs

Here are the steps I'm following:

1. Open Scene studio: Developer Portal (microsoft.com)
  2. Click on Default Scene under Create a scene
  3. Click the View in Teams button in the upper-right
  4. On the View in Teams screen, click Preview in Teams. This opens a Teams launcher webpage which in turns opens the Teams desktop app
  5. In the Teams desktop app, a popup appears for the "Default Scene" app which displays a warning that this app isn't from your org's app catalog or the Teams store. After a few seconds, an Add button appears. Click the Add button
  6. Once the app has been added, join a meeting with multiple participants with their video turned on
  7. Click the three dots button in the meeting window and choose Together Mode
  8. Click the Change Scene button in the lower left
  9. From the list of scenes, select the newly added Default Scene from the list

Expected result: The newly added scene is displayed

Actual result: A purple banner appears along the top of the meeting window saying "Couldn't apply the scene. Try again later."

@Ryan Steele - We tried with the default scene and we were able to change the scene successfully. We have checked in Teams Version 1.5.00.3970 (64-bit). Could you please confirm your version once?

MeghanaMSFT_0-1645213642704.png

I have version 1.5.00.2164 (64-bit). I did a check for updates and Teams says I have the latest version.
Can you please try in the higher versions and confirm if you still face this issue? Meanwhile we will check this internally.
Can you please let me know how to "try in the higher versions"? As I already stated, I tried checking for updates in Teams and it says I have the latest version. I just tried downloading and running Teams_windows_x64.exe; after the installation completed, the version number is still the same.
Can you try this in web browser and check for the console logs? Please share the console logs if you face this issue in Teams web as well.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but when using Together Mode with Teams in the browser the "Change scene" button does not appear at all.

I will mention I have monitored the DevTools console from the "secret menu" in the Teams desktop app while attempting to select my custom scene but didn't see anything relevant appear.
Please make sure you have switched to developer preview.
Okay, it's clear this feature isn't yet ready for prime time. Unfortunately I can't justify investing any additional effort, so I will be abandoning my attempt. Thanks for your assistance.
Because I just can't leave well enough alone: I've switched to developer preview. I now have Microsoft Teams Version 1.5.00.4689 (64-bit). I still get the same error when attempting to switch to either my custom scene or the unmodified default scene.
We are checking this internally, We will let you know.
best response confirmed by Ryan Steele (Bronze Contributor)
Solution
We have raised a bug for the same, we will keep you posted on the updates.
On a whim, I tried switching to my custom Together Mode scene in a meeting yesterday and it worked! I'm using a preview version of Teams (1.5.00.9567) but hopefully this fix will be available soon in the GA version (if it isn't already).
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ryan Steele (Bronze Contributor)
Solution
We have raised a bug for the same, we will keep you posted on the updates.

View solution in original post