SOLVED

Not able to create a bot in developer portal

Copper Contributor

New to Teams development and get started by building the first Teams app according to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/platform/sbs-gs-csharp.

When creating a new bot according to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/platform/sbs-gs-csharp?tutorial-step=3, I find that clicking create a new bot in Developer portal does not navigate to a new page but a blank page.

Could anyone tell me why and how to resolve this? Thanks

16 Replies

@JessicaLu85 

We tried to repro the issue ,but at our end everything works as expected. Attaching screenshot below:

Prasad_DasMSFT_0-1636715464002.png

Please try to update Microsoft Teams client version and check if it works.

Thanks, 

Prasad Das

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the response is helpful, please click "**Mark as Best Response**" and like it. You can share your feedback via Microsoft Teams Developer Feedback link. Click here to escalate. 

@Prasad_Das-MSFT 

I also am facing the same issue.  In your screenshot, it just shows the app.  Following the tutorial, if I were to click on the app, go to App features, Click on Bot and then Create a new bot, I end up with a blank screen.

kayoung_0-1636742170233.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/platform/sbs-gs-csharp?tutorial-step=3#to-add-bot-to...

best response confirmed by JessicaLu85 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JessicaLu85 

I figured out what page it should be opening.  Instead of clicking on "Create a new bot", if you go to Tools > Bot management, you should be able to continue with the steps in the tutorial.

kayoung_0-1636744219497.png

Thanks kayoung, this works for me
My Teams client version is 1.4.00.30883 (64-bit), which is up to date.

@kayoung 

I follow this process, step by step. When I got to the "Manage bot" screen, I click on "+ New Bot", gie it a random name, click on "Add" and I get back to a empty page. The only action I can do is create another bot. No reference to the bot I have just created.

Is there a setting somewhere to allow bot creation ? Should I have special credential to create bot ?

@dernotte - No, there is no special credential required to create bot.
Tried creating one, it got added successfully.

Prasad_DasMSFT_0-1667388765363.png

Prasad_DasMSFT_1-1667388785433.png

@Prasad_Das-MSFT 
I have exactly the same issue here. When I click on "Create new bot" I have a pop up asking me to name it. I enter the name, press Add and nothing happens. 
The pop up closes and I'm back to the Bot management page with the only option being to "Create a new bot".

Thanks,

Quintus

@Prasad_Das-MSFT 

Is there any configuration we need to do on our side (enable feature, or....) to allow bot creation ?

I just tested today (create bot, give a name) , with same result, no bot created. 

Is there any log to look at to understand the problem ?

@dernotte , @QuintuSonus  - There is no specific permission/configuration required to allow bot creation. Today also we tried to create bot using developer portal and we were able to create successfully, and the bot is available under 'Bot Management' section.

Prasad_DasMSFT_1-1670388895468.png

Prasad_DasMSFT_2-1670388908465.png

Prasad_DasMSFT_0-1670388882030.png

@Prasad_Das-MSFT Could there be any restrictions or limitations put in place by my company admonistrators preventing me to create bot from my professionnal account?

@QuintuSonus 

I have the same issue. Whenever I click on the "+ New Bot" or "Create your first bot" icon, nothing happens.

I tried opening the developer console (F12) and, unfortunately, this is what I see.

artur_iwan_0-1673440876102.png

What exact permissions should I request in my company to be able to create a bot?

And how much will my company pay monthly for these additional permissions for me?

Thanks.

Artur

@artur_iwan - Could you please provide network trace, so that engineering team can investigate it?

I have the same behavior. I did not try to create the bot of the Teams client in a browser. So I just try, and got the same error.

The POST on https://dev.teams.microsoft.com/api/aadapp

with the JSON body "displayName: mybot" return a 403 (forbidden), and the body of the response contains: 

errorMessage"Insufficient privileges to complete the operation."

So there MUST be some privileges somewhere to create a BOT.

@Prasad_Das-MSFT

@dernotte - Okay. We are checking with engineering team what could be possible reasons for the failure.
and if there are any specific privileges. We will inform you once there is any update. Thanks!

@dernotte , @artur_iwan - Most likely the reason could be that the user does not have enough permission to create an application in the tenant's Azure Active Directory.
Can you please check and confirm that the user can register a new app in the Azure portal?
https://portal.azure.com/#view/Microsoft_AAD_IAM/ActiveDirectoryMenuBlade/~/RegisteredApps

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JessicaLu85 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JessicaLu85 

I figured out what page it should be opening.  Instead of clicking on "Create a new bot", if you go to Tools > Bot management, you should be able to continue with the steps in the tutorial.

kayoung_0-1636744219497.png

View solution in original post