MS Teams with FreeBSD

Brass Contributor

According to this URL: https://itsfoss.com/microsoft-teams-linux/,  Microsoft provides .DEB installer files for Debian and Ubuntu based distributions and .RPM for Red Hat and Fedora based distributions for MS Teams. I would like to know if there are any plans to also include the FreeBSD operation system into this mix? I believe it would be a worthwhile venture. Since MS is already supporting some *nix systems, including FreeBSD should not prove a major problem. I would be happy to do some beta testing if required.

Thanks!

10 Replies

+1 on that ;)

@BeerStud - This isn't currently considered for an extension of our Linux roadmap, but we will definitely keep an eye on it to see if interest grows on the market.

Thanks. This is certainly something that Microsoft should look into. There are only a few differences between Linux and FreeBSD. Many developers prefer FreeBSD because it is much more versatile. In fact, Wietse Venema, the author of "Postfix", the most widely used MTA today, uses FreeBSD as his primary development OS.

I really do hope that Microsoft includes the FreeBSD operating system into your mix when creating applications for other operating systems.
Yes, +1 I see vs code can be installed via bsd ports. So having teams would be fantastic.

The organisation I work for recently switched from a combination of zoom and slack to teams.

I rely on using it on my windows laptop, but have to use the browser when on bsd which is annoying

@BeerStud 

After many years away from FreeBSD .. I too would like to see Teams available.

I am having to go away from OSX due to the prohibitive cost of hardware that my employer will not accept.

FreeBSD is my next best choice I feel.

Hi@Nikitha-MSFT & @BeerStud 

I have just spent the afternoon attempting to get the Linux version (binary extracted from an RPM) on FreeBSD thanks to the FreeBSD kernels "Linux Compatibility" emulation.

I found that a large number of shared objects were not present, so I copied them over from a Linux installation that I have which runs the Linux version of Teams.

However, even once all the dependencies where satisfied, I still had these errors in the log:

/usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/teams: /lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/./libpixman-1.so.0)
/usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/teams: /lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/./libpng16.so.16)
/usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/teams: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by /usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/./libsystemd.so.0)
/usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/teams: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/./libsystemd.so.0)
/usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/teams: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.26' not found (required by /usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/./libsystemd.so.0)
/usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/teams: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.30' not found (required by /usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/./libsystemd.so.0)
/usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/teams: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/./libsystemd.so.0)
/usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/teams: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by /usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/./libgnutls.so.30)
/usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/teams: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by /usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/./libbsd.so.0)
/usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/teams: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.26' not found (required by /usr/home/cam/Downloads/teams/usr/share/teams/./libp11-kit.so.0)

I think a possible solution here would be to release a Linux portable version (unpack and execute) this would allow users of other non Debian or Red Hat based systems such as Arch to use Teams, and it would more than likely work for the various BSD Unix's as well

Cheers,

Cam

@CamStuart @Nikitha-MSFT 

I sincerely appreciate your help on this matter. However, I feel that the best solution would be for Microsoft to realize that there is a market for their 'Teams' platform on systems other than Windows & Linux. Many Linux programs work out of the box on FreeBSD. Others take a little massaging to get to work properly. There is absolutely no reason that Microsoft with its vast resources could not easily create a fully operational version of Teams for the FreeBSD operating system. If they were to combine this with making a version of their Edge browser that was fully operational on a FreeBSD system, it would be a win-win for everyone.

Re: https://github.com/mrclksr/linux-browser-installer#readme I used linux-browser-installer to install Google Chrome on FreeBSD-CURRENT:

/compat/ubuntu/bin/chrome

Re: https://github.com/mrclksr/linux-browser-installer/issues/2 I do not yet have sound out, which probably explains the absence of Devices from my Settings dialogue.

Also via https://github.com/mrclksr/linux-browser-installer#readme we have this, for those of you who might be happy with /compat/linux using Ubuntu in lieu of CentOS:

From Microsoft Teams with Linuxulator : freebsd on Reddit:

no GUI.

Any suggestions?

yes +1 MS open your eyes.