SOLVED

Missing "Add" button in custom app

Copper Contributor

Hey,

I created a custom MS Teams app and tried to install it to MS Teams. After installing and clicking it, there is no "Add" button like there usually is.

The app policies are set correctly and it's not the first time we've done this.

Any idea why this could happen? Is it a permission issue or something with the App package?

Thank you :)

14 Replies
@roybartal - We are looking into this I will get back to you soon.
@roybartal - We tried to repro this issue from our end, We are able to add custom apps with the following steps:-
1.Log in to the Teams client with your Microsoft 365 development account.
2.Select Apps and choose Upload a custom app.
3.Select your app package .zip file. An install dialog displays. Screenshot showing an example of a Teams app install dialog.
4.Add your app to Teams.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/platform/concepts/deploy-and-publish/apps-upload

Could you please confirm if you are following these steps? Could you please share steps you followed so that we can repro it at our end.
@roybartal - Could you please confirm if your issue has resolved or still looking for any help?

@Sayali-MSFT - I am having the same issue as the original poster. I don't have a "Microsoft 365 development account," so I'm not sure if I can follow your suggested steps exactly. I've already uploaded the app to the Teams Admin center. When I log into the teams client, and go to Apps, I see the custom app I've uploaded into the Teams Admin center in the "Built for your org" section. When I click on the app to add it, there is no add button.

Similarly, in the "App Studio" app in the teams client, when I choose "Test and distribute" and click "Install," there is no install button, as pictured in the page you shared, https://microsoft.github.io/botframework-solutions/clients-and-channels/tutorials/enable-teams/3-ins...

I have run the Teams App Validator and the app passes.

@m36five - Do you have permission to add the app?
Please check in Teams Admin center.
best response confirmed by ChetanSharma-msft (Microsoft)
Solution

@ChetanSharma-msft - Thank you for your response. I discovered the issue was that I needed to add a personal tab. Once I added a tab, I was able to install the app. 

m36five_0-1639351078765.png

@ChetanSharma-msft 
I also have this issue, however it's a bit different due to App Studio being deprecated. 

I'm trying to add a custom app that should only be a chat bot --no need for a custom tab.  As far as I know, I set it up correctly.   I have tried both publishing to my organization and manually uploading the manifest.  It passes validation:

jfmathews_0-1642698050172.png

I added the bot:

jfmathews_1-1642698100133.png

The app is linked to an AD app registration:

jfmathews_2-1642698155774.png

It's published and allowed in the admin center:

jfmathews_0-1642698598901.png

It's also enabled for my organization:

jfmathews_1-1642698654415.png

But there's no add button when I try to install the app:

jfmathews_3-1642698743223.png

When I try updating the app with a custom personal app, the add button appears:

jfmathews_0-1642698967996.png

But when I click "add", it shows the message "App Not Found":

jfmathews_1-1642699008421.png

Note that the bot is simply a webhook to a serverless function

Could you please elaborate on what is "webhook to a server less function" in terms of bot?

@Sayali-MSFT 

When you create the bot from the teams development portal, you can configure a messaging endpoint, at least that's my interpretation of the UI. 

All I am trying to do is have a bot send a user's chat message to a custom server (in this case a serverless endpoint).  It shouldn't be that difficult.

Do you know if there is cohesive/up-to-date documentation on this anywhere?  The help button within the Teams developer portal just directs me to Bing. 

jfmathews_0-1642789612111.png

jfmathews_1-1642789695903.png

@jfmathews - Outgoing Webhooks provide a simple way to allow users to send messages to your web service without having to go through the full process of creating bots via the Microsoft Bot Framework.

Outgoing Webhooks post data from Teams to any chosen service capable of accepting a JSON payload.

Once an outgoing webhook is added to a team, it acts like bot, listening in channels for messages using @mention, sending notifications to external web services, and responding with rich messages that can include cards and images.
Ref Doc:-Create an Outgoing Webhook - Teams | Microsoft Docs
Sample Doc:-Microsoft-Teams-Samples/samples/outgoing-webhook/csharp at main · OfficeDev/Microsoft-Teams-Samples ...

@Sayali-MSFTOutgoing webhooks aren't quite what I'm looking for.  As far as I can tell, they only work with using @mention and are only publishable to your organization.

We decided to use the VSCode Teams plugin to create our bot as it seems to be the most comprehensive way of achieving what we want.  The reason we were trying to create a webhook within the Teams development portal is because we didn't need all the bells and whistles that the Teams plugin provides.

@jfmathews - Could you please let us know, if you need any further details from us?
Or shall we close it?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ChetanSharma-msft (Microsoft)
Solution

@ChetanSharma-msft - Thank you for your response. I discovered the issue was that I needed to add a personal tab. Once I added a tab, I was able to install the app. 

m36five_0-1639351078765.png

View solution in original post