Message Extension won't load properly in Teams Mobile

Copper Contributor

We have a message extension that uses Task Module and Adaptive Cards which allows users to select from a ChoiceSet or enter input text. We implement chained adaptive cards, which means there are multiple steps. It works well on desktop but when we try it out on mobile, the cards won't load up after the initial step.

We are handling the inputs using TeamsActivityHandler.handleTeamsMessagingExtensionSubmitAction and TeamsActivityHandler.handleTeamsMessagingExtensionFetchTask.

On some occasions, the desktop app also won't load up the Msg Extension Modal and we had to sign in/out and turn on/off Developer Preview - this experience seem to happen only on our dev organization and custom apps so we might have missed a setting but behavior still is weird.

Kindly advise. 

16 Replies

@vannyconoza -
For Desktop app issue I suggest clearing your Teams desktop app cache:
1. Sign out on Teams > Quit Microsoft Teams by right clicking the icon and select Quit.
2. On your keyboard, Hold Windows key and Press R
3. Cut and paste %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams in the RUN then OK.
4. Delete the contents of the entire folder.
5. Restart Microsoft Teams > Sign In.

For mobile app issue can you please clarify below points.
1. Are you trying to open adaptive card on Taskmodule via messaging extension action?

2. Can you please share your adaptive card json to try at our end? Because you have mentioned you are trying multiple steps or we just need to try with choiceset?
3. Are you facing issue in android or IOS mobile?

@Nivedipa-MSFT 

Can you share steps for Mac?

For the mobile app issue,
1. Yes. We use adaptive card on task module as msg extension action. Something like this:

task: {
    type: "continue",
    value: {
        card: cardAttachment,
        height: height,
        title: "Make Collaboration Happen",
        url: null,
        width: width
    }
}

2. Yup, our card have TextBlock, ColumnSet, ChoiceSet, Input, Action.Submit, etc. We have tried checking our card in Adaptive Card Designer and seems to work so I guess can just try any simple card.

3. Currently, we are facing the issue in IOS. But again, this seem to only happen on our dev organization.

@vannyconoza - We are checking this internally. We will update you soon.

@vannyconoza 
We have tested this on IOS version 15.5 and Teams version 4.12.0
But it's working fine at our end.
Please check below video for your reference:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/92150070/200525889-6d6b8c5c-3bdf-4734-8ba7-d13e188cfb91.mp...

Could you please update the Teams version and check again?

Hey @vannyconoza, I'm facing the same issue on Android. My message extension uses Task Module and Adaptive Cards and it is working fine on Desktop apps and iOS devices but on Android task module doesn't shown up upon using my message extension. Can you please help?
@Anas_Irfan - Could you please update the Teams version once on android and check again. We have tested on android also. But it was working fine at our end.
Also share your adaptive card so we will test at our end.
@vannyconoza - Could you please confirm is your issue resolved or are you still facing this issue?

@Nivedipa-MSFT Hi, I'm still facing this issue and what I've figured out as yet is that I have the below-attached commands for my message extension in my manifest. createTicketFromMessage command with message context is the one ain't working on android. If I add parameters to this command in the manifest then it works fine but the form renders with empty data. I want to load a form field populated with message body text in it which I was doing in handleTeamsMessagingExtensionSubmitAction function in my bot code but if I add parameters in the manifest command then I don't receive the request in handleTeamsMessagingExtensionSubmitAction function and form gets rendered with empty fields.

"composeExtensions": [
    {
      "botId": "<<BOT-ID>>",
      "commands": [
        {
          "id": "createTicket",
          "type": "action",
          "description": "Command to run action to create a Ticket from Compose Box",
          "title": "Create Ticket",
          "context": ["compose"],
          "fetchTask": true,
          "initialRun": true
        },
        {
          "id": "addComment",
          "description": "Add comment",
          "title": "Add Comment",
          "context": ["message"]
        },
        {
          "id": "createTicketFromMessage",
          "description": "Create ticket",
          "title": "Create a ticket",
          "context": ["message"]
        }
      ]
    }
  ]

@anaas1070 - We will test this with your manifest data?

@Nivedipa-MSFT sure, let me know afterward I'm waiting for your response.

@anaas1070 - Could you please share like what parameters you have added for createTicketFromMessage command and then it's not working?
Before adding parameters, the task module is loaded correctly?

Actually, the exact above-mentioned createTicketFromMessage command isn't working on android. It doesn't work without adding parameters.

It works only when I add the following parameters but I want to load the message body text as the description parameter's value and if I add parameters in my manifest then upon calling this command, there is no call made to my bot code.

"parameters": [
            {
              "name": "title",
              "title": "Name",
              "description": "Name of the User",
              "inputType": "text"
            },
            {
              "name": "subTitle",
              "title": "Designation",
              "description": "Designation of the User",
              "inputType": "text"
            },
            {
              "name": "text",
              "title": "Description",
              "description": "Description",
              "inputType": "textarea"
            }
          ]

@anaas1070 - Could you please share screen recording with us to investigate further on this?
And also share the error what you are getting on ngrok?

I've noticed that I had 2 different commands with the same title in my manifest which was causing this issue. Currently, it looks working fine by updating my manifest. Thank you so much for the help.

@anaas1070 - Could you please share your valuable feedback via Microsoft Teams Developer Community Response Feedback.