Message extension suggestion popup is missing action based extension

Brass Contributor

My app has a message extension with a popup to give a kudos.
Until now it was always available in the suggestion list together with the normal commands of the bot.
(see the screenshot with + Give a kudos).

However a customer informed me, that she can't see this option any longer and I can confirm that it disappeared with the latest app release.
What is the configuration to bring this back? I now tried every combination in message extension configuration but I am out of luck here.

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 22.20.13.png

10 Replies
@jocsch - Thanks for reporting your issue.
We will check this at our end and will get back to you.

@Sayali-MSFT - I'm noticing the same issue with my compose extensions. You can @mention the bot but afterwards the menu with the available commands never displays. It still works when accessed directly through the app menu, it just no longer appears as a suggestion when typing directly in the compose box.

@jasonburek -Are you trying the same as given video-
If no, then could please share the small video, if possible and some code snippet so that we can try it from our end.
Video Link-https://youtu.be/ogm5_-S0xaA
Microsoft Teams Version 1.6.00.7879 (64-bit)

@Sayali-MSFT - No, launching the app that way works fine. This is when you type "@" in the compose box followed by the app name. Up until a few days ago, after selecting the app in the list of suggestions would have opened a popup menu that listed the available commands for the app. Now, after selecting the app name it just treats it as an @mention and there's no access to the command list.

Here's a quick clip showing it not working. I'm going to see if I can find any product demos that show the old behavior.

https://youtu.be/Eld3JDpzoHE

@Sayali-MSFT - I managed to find a webinar that shows the old behavior. It's a bit long but you can find it at 24:00 - 24:10. After selecting the app from the suggestions list a separate menu appears that lists all available commands for the app (note: in this video it appears collapsed initially. Sometimes it appears fully expanded and I haven't been able to identify what causes the difference).

https://groopit.co/solutions/competitive-intelligence/7-best-practices-webinar/on-demand/

@jasonburek, @jocsch -Thank you for the detailed information.
We are able to repro that issue and we have raised bug for the same. We will inform you once we get any update.
@jasonburek, @jocsch - We got confirmation from engineering team,
"We have deprecated the keyboarding flow to invoke message extension"
@Sayali-MSFT that's a big change in behavior. Is there a different interaction model you're recommending instead? Telling someone to type "@groopit" and select "share" was a really easy way to explain to someone how to use the app. Telling them to start a new message, click the three dots, type "Groopit", select the app, then select "share" is a lot more convoluted.
@jasonburek-We are checking it internally and get back to you once we get any update.
I agree with @jasonburek.
Is there any changelog where we can learn about these kind of changes? I have to deal with bug reports from customers who miss that feature and is always a bit difficult if I am surprised by these kind of UI changes.